Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Lift Kit versus Suspension Kit - Differences?

Old 08-06-2014, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit versus Suspension Kit - Differences?

Newbie question for you guys...

I'm considering getting upgrading the suspension on my Jeep and since I'm relatively new to the truck/Jeep world, I don't understand all the differences between the kits that are available. Prior to my Jeep, I had a little sedan, and the only "kits" to choose from were either new springs, new springs/struts, or a full coilover system. They all basically did the same thing though, made your suspension stiffer or car sit lower. Now that I'm in the Jeep world I'm seeing "lift" kits, suspension kits, leveling kits, etc. What are the differences between them all, and what is recommended???

The two that I want to learn the most about are lift kits versus suspension kits. What are the pros/cons and biggest benefits of going with either a body "lift" versus a suspension kit?

From my research so far, it seems like the major advantage to a body lift versus a suspension kit is cost, as they are much cheaper. With a body lift you can still put larger tires on and gain additional ground clearance. However, it seems like a body lift will not help you at all in the suspension travel or articulation departments. That said, it seems like a body lift is a good option for those looking to spend less money and who primarily focus on trails without many obstacles, mud pits, relatively level ground, etc., while a suspension kit is better for those doing rock climbing or or riding trails with many more obstacles. Are these valid assumptions?
Old 08-06-2014, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Forgot to mention one last thing. Related to suspension kits, what are the benefits of a full coilover kit with shocks/struts versus simply going with larger springs?
Old 08-06-2014, 02:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suggest before anything, decide on what tire size you want for the trails you hit. The trail type should be key to how to build your jeep. Tire size determines your running ground clearance. You can bolt on a 6" lift and 2"body lift, but if you keep the stock tires, you will still have stock ground clearance. A lift improves approach, break-over & departure angles. Then read the stickies at the top of the topics section.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Things you can do to be able to mount bigger tires.

Cut Fenders: Free, allows bigger tires which will afford you more ground clearance while maintaining stock geometry.

Flat fenders: Not free, but same as cut fenders.

Body Lift: Cheap, allows bigger tires which will afford you more ground clearance while maintaining stock geometry. Too much body lift can strain wiring, linkage and hoses. Keeps a low center of gravity.

Suspension Lift: Increases approach, departure and break-over angle. Allows bigger tires. Increases COG. Changes steering geometry.

Im running a combination of cut fenders and lift. BTW lift doesnt increase articulation. Its controlled by shock length and bump stop. Dirtman has a pretty good sticky on suspension you should read I think its in the modified section.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Teraflex has a really excellent line of videos about lifts and springs and such. Recommend you watch this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUSrjamaJE
Old 08-07-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

On the car your coil spring sits on top of your strut aka shock. A very basic coilover system. But doesn't typically allow much adjustability.

On the jeep your coil spring and shock are separate. Usually side by side. No strut.

A budget boost or BB adds a spacer or puck on top of your existing coil spring and works as an inexpensive lift. Usually requires longer shocks or shock extensions.

Next would be a coil spring lift which would replace your existing coil springs. Again would require longer shocks and depending on the kit may come with other replacement components.

A coilover is exactly that similar to the car world, a coil spring on the strut.

There's a great stickie by the Dirtman that goes into much more detail about all of this.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:30 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Read the red link in my sig.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Read the red link in my sig.
^^^ What Dirtman said
Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks very much for the help guys. That Teraflex video and Dirtman's thread are super helpful. Can't believe I didn't see his post beforehand...
Old 08-13-2014, 07:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by NYGator
Thanks very much for the help guys. That Teraflex video and Dirtman's thread are super helpful. Can't believe I didn't see his post beforehand...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlFiJnAfEI8 Here's one more for you to watch!

Quick Reply: Lift Kit versus Suspension Kit - Differences?