Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Front Sway bar link confusion

Old 09-09-2024, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Sway bar link confusion

2012 Rubicon Unlimited with what I believe to be a 3 1/2 AEV lift. Front sway bar slid right off the bottom bushing and is just hanging there. AEV says it’s a common issue and that their kit doesn’t have a change for the front sway bar links, their kit leaves the stock links on. Ok, good so far.

The confusing part is that the sway bar link on the Jeep is about 8 1/2” long, center to center. I ordered what I thought was an OEM replacement, instead it is Rancho’s own link that is part of their “2.5 to 4” suspension stabilizer bar link kit” and it’s 10 3/4” long. I called the Jeep dealer and the helpful parts desk guy went and pulled their stock link and they are only about 5” long and the same as the stock rear, same part number and everything.

so, confusion. I have links 8 1/2” long and no idea where they came from and they need replacing. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2024, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

Regarding length, make your sway bar level with the frame and measure center to center of the link mount locations. That's the length you're shooting for regardless of what lift parts you have. If you find one the right length with the right mounting hardware, lucky you. There are adjustable options out there if you're at an odd length. A little bit longer or shorter isn't the end of the world, but I like a nice, level sway bar at ride height. Usually some combination of spacers/washers and hardware will get the end links vertical. There's also the option for quick disconnect links if you plan on disconnecting the sway bar for off road use.
Old 09-14-2024, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Regarding length, make your sway bar level with the frame and measure center to center of the link mount locations. That's the length you're shooting for regardless of what lift parts you have. If you find one the right length with the right mounting hardware, lucky you. There are adjustable options out there if you're at an odd length. A little bit longer or shorter isn't the end of the world, but I like a nice, level sway bar at ride height. Usually some combination of spacers/washers and hardware will get the end links vertical. There's also the option for quick disconnect links if you plan on disconnecting the sway bar for off road use.
Thank you. That’s what I needed to know. The sway bar isn’t level now oddly enough now that you bring that up. No telling how or why this is setup as it is. Certainly not the way it should have been and I’ll be happy to correctly set this up going forward.

Quick Reply: Front Sway bar link confusion