Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Build Your Own CO2 Tank System – High Quality & Lowest Cost

Old 04-10-2012, 04:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply's guys. I just realized I have a problem. A buddy gave my one of his 6 tanks and I just realized after looking at regulators that the tank is expired. I will not be able to get it refilled. I think I'm going to scrap the idea for now. As stated above, I have an electric on board system. I was looking for air tool use bc I got a free tank :(
Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 23CSP
Since this thread has been brought back to life....

You can build a system as noted above for about $185. Or you can buy a pre-built system for $24 more that also includes the mounting bracket for $209 from TRDparts4u. Shipping is $19.95 via FedEx unless you live in the DFW metroplex and you can just pick it up. If you live in Texas you also pay taxes.

h ttp://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=-45
Des that include shipping?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aermotor
Des that include shipping?
As I said.... The kit is $209. If you live in Texas you pay taxes which is $17.24. If they ship it to you they do it via Fedex which is $19.95. If you live in the DFW metroplex you can pick it up there and avoid shipping.

For a Non Texas person it is $228.95 to you door and all you do is click buy on their website.
For a Texas resident that needs it shipped it is $246.19.
For a Texas resident that lives in the DFW metroplex it is $226.24.

The price is about the same as buying it piece by piece when you consider that you get the mounting bracket in this package and you don't have to order from multiple sources...
Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Just ordered one of these, they are running out of supply and only have the brushed version with the fixed regulator at the lower price left. They are being replaced with the adjustable regulators. So get one soon if you are considering one.

As I said.... The kit is $209. If you live in Texas you pay taxes which is $17.24. If they ship it to you they do it via Fedex which is $19.95. If you live in the DFW metroplex you can pick it up there and avoid shipping.

For a Non Texas person it is $228.95 to you door and all you do is click buy on their website.

The price is about the same as buying it piece by piece when you consider that you get the mounting bracket in this package and you don't have to order from multiple sources...
Old 03-27-2022, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumping this thread to the top
The following users liked this post:
Stolidog (06-26-2022)
Old 12-25-2023, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie
Veteran: Marine Corp

Just tried to find the site, seems TRDparts4u is no more. Rip
Old 09-03-2024, 03:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The bigger tanks don't freeze up as quickly as the small ones do.

Also, I'm curious how many tire fills you get off of a pound of CO2. A 35" tire usually takes around 5 cubic feet of air to bring it from 15 psi to 30psi. I'm curious how CF translates to pounds.
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie
Vet Army

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m new so I apologize if I’m posting something everyone already knows, but you can use a Scuba tank. I used to do a lot of tech diving, mostly cave so I have a bunch of tanks laying around, none I think I bought new. Used tanks are all over the place, just ensure the hydro test is current or if not figure the test into the tank price, failing the test is very rare.The most common tank is the aluminum 80, a couple of years ago you could get them in hydro for about $100, then you need a first stage reg, any elcheapo used one is fine, it takes the 3,000 -3,600 PSI or so and drops it to around 150ish PSI regardless of temp, then it’s just a hose and I like to have a gauge so I know what’s left in the tank.
‘The yellow tank in the pic is an aluminum 60 I think, the rest of the tanks range from 40 cu ft to 130 cu ft. right behind it is aluminum 80’s and a steel 80, the steel 80 is much smaller and lighter than the aluminum 80. But steels do cost more. Steels have much thinner walls so that’s why they weigh less and can be filled to higher pressure, That plus the thinner walls are why they are smaller.
Anyway assuming 5 cu ft per tire use that’s 16 tire fills per 80 cu ft tank.

You can run an impact off of a scuba tank, there is no moisture so it won’t freeze up, but it can get cold. Not sure how fast a average 1/2 inch impact would go through a tank, but suspect it would be pretty quick.

I resize images to save some data for the forum, but you should still be able to see it fine.

Last edited by a64pilot; Yesterday at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JimWPB (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie
Vet Army

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Google say’s 8.471 Cu ft per lb of CO2. I assume liquid and solid it’s the same as liquids aren’t compressible.
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've filled plenty of tires from scuba tanks. It's always worked fine for me. If you want to run a pneumatic impact gun, you will probably need a low pressure booster tank & you will probably need to use only short bursts. The flow rate for a scuba regulator is enough to keep you breathing, but it's not enough to run most pneumatic tools.

Cordless electric impact guns can be had from several different brands these days, including Milwaukee, Ryobi, etc. I find them to be pretty convenient. I've even seen some of the tire shops going to cordless impact guns lately.

The last time I did the math on air capacity of a tire (volume of a toroid) I think I came up with around 5cf for a 31" tire going from 15 psi to 30psi. Bigger tires will take more. If you start at a lower pressure, it will take more.

If you want to attach normal 1/4" NPT fittings to a scuba regulator first stage, you will need some special fittings. Different brands of 1st stage have different port sizes, but most of mine are 3/8" straight with an O-ring. Adapters can be hard to find. This is the one I use - https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-...ale-3-8-inch-m Some of my regulators have the same port size for high & low pressure. Be sure you don't attach low pressure components to a high pressure port. 3,000psi on a 200psi rated part can make very bad things happen quickly.

The price of scuba tank fills in my area have been going up. $5-6 was once normal. Now it's closer to $10. A 5 year hydro pressure test is like $40 in my area, if the tank doesn't need a tumble nor valve service. Annual internal visual inspections are like $25 & include a fill with air. Mixed gasses cost more. I do not recommend the use of high oxygen content mixes for use in tires. Enriched air "nitrox" will oxidize organic materials more readily than regular air. Tires tend to be made from mostly organic materials.

Scuba shops that service technical divers, will often have nitrogen on hand for making deep water hypoxic mixes. They may be willing to sell you straight nitrogen in a scuba tank. They may not. If you get straight nitrogen, be sure to mark the tank clearly. A couple of kids died in a pool several years ago using dad's scuba gear & a tank that was filled with straight helium, but was not marked as such.

Welding supply shops will generally sell to the public properly marked industrial tanks with nitrogen, argon, or other industrial grade gases. In this case, you need a regulator with the same CGA number fitting as that tank uses. Those tanks can either be purchased or leased. Generally anything over 100cf gets leased & the smaller ones get purchased. Leases are generally by the month. Hydro test regulations apply to these tanks too. A leased tank will generally have the hydro test cost already figured into the rental price. If you own the tank, you will get charged when it needs a hydro. If a shop swaps you a full tank for an empty one, and you turn in a tank with 3 years left, but get back one that has 2 months left, you may find yourself on the hook for a hydro charge when you bring it back 3 months later. Tanks swaps can be tricky that way. You can pay for several hydros in a single year if you don't watch your tank dates. It can get expensive.

Back in my old CJ days, I made air tank bumpers out of 10" diameter schedule 20 steel pipe. That also worked well & that could be filled from a regular compressor that you get from Home Depot. It saved the cost of tank fills & the time to drive to a shop every time I needed a fill.

Last edited by JimWPB; Yesterday at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Build Your Own CO2 Tank System – High Quality & Lowest Cost