Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

BLD vs Lockers?

Old 02-16-2014, 03:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a local Jeep club and go wheeling with them and see the difference for yourself.

The rigs with lockers make it look easy.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsot
Find a local Jeep club and go wheeling with them and see the difference for yourself.

The rigs with lockers make it look easy.
Some would call that a disadvantage. ;-)
Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you thought about Eaton Truetracs? They are a gear driven LSD. You won't ever get full lockup, bit you will always have some torque going to both wheels unless one wheel is in the air. You can apply light brake pressure to fix that though. I run trails in NJ and beach and feel that truetracs will suit me better than lockers. I also do not plan on playing on the rocks with wheels in the air. One last benefit is the truetracs are great in the rain and for me snow.

Sorry if I made it more complicated, but just wanted to throw another option out there.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2014, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ran at the Jeep Jamboree in Hot Springs, AR last October. Me and 1 other guy were the only ones without aster least a rear locker. While I eventually made it up each trail, he and I were definitely the weak link in the group. Especially in long steep climbs. I left knowing that lockers are in my future. Stock Rubicons on stock tires out performed me with 33" Mud terrains and a 2" lift. Plus I hate smelling the brakes!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

The stock BLD system works great in snow and icy driving conditions. It will not help you much climbing inclines or in rocky terrain as it slows your momentum. It does work great though in conjunction with Truetrac LSDs. There is no need to feather the brakes when one wheel is in the air. The BLD system does this instantly for you. For most people just looking for increased traction in a variety of conditions, you can't beat the Truetracs. If you need maximum offroad traction for steep inclines, a true locker works best.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

7Kings - you might find your answer in this fun video from Teraflex:

News - TeraFlex Tech: Open vs Locked Differentials | TeraFlex Suspensions

I think that shows the difference between the open/BLD and the lockers pretty well.

And yes, I am very favorably impressed by the BLD function our JK's come with, but lockers offer even more.

Regards, CW

Last edited by Cascade Wanderer; 02-18-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: BLD vs Lockers?