Notices
JK Member Write-Ups Consolidation of all current information from 'Member Writeups which includes JK Garage - Member Builds, Jeeping Lifestyle, JK Write-Ups)
View Poll Results: What would you do?
Should be fine
0%
Stay away
0%
Worth a shot
0%
Get more info/checks
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

2012 deal of the decade?

Old 08-09-2024, 06:00 PM
R2D
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 deal of the decade?

Hi guys, I have always loved jeeps, but besides getting a rental stolen a few months ago I haven't had any real experiences with them.

I am currently eyeing and put a deposit on a 2012 Manual Wrangler and was hoping some of you could give me some insight/guide me in the best direction. There are a couple red flags.

The Chrysler dealership is selling it as is. I asked why they won't safety it and they just flat out said they just wouldn't. I called ahead spoke with someone and then showed up in person and spoke with someone else.

The cars report has 1 service record in August 2020 with 50,990km for:ignition coilssparkplugssafety inspectiondrivability/performance checkemission system check

Then in March 2021 it was registered under its new owner. Both owners were commercial. It's now for sale with 51,020km.

So the car essentially sat for 4 years. Being European my first thought was the mileage had been docked. Everyone I speak to says that is very unlikely, please let me know if you think otherwise.

The lady on the phone told me the service record on the report was done at a mechanic shop that is owned by the same owners as the dealership. The sales guy also came with that story. When I asked what they did with the car he went back and then came back saying the shop used it as a promotions car and basically sat there with decals for events and deals (golf tournaments, charities, promos) this might check as I thought I saw a scratch on the white paint but then pealed off a bit of black sticker which could have been car wrap.

The car and it looks pretty darn good. Been treated and sealed for rust in the underbody. Looked in very good shape. Unfortunately I could only drive it in their back lot which is gravel. Initially I thought the wheels and suspension were a bit funny but it was lifted and is on 35 inch wheels. The more I lapped around the lot the more normal it felt. The clutch was able to move the car in 1st,2nd and 3rd alone without touching the gas pedal, so I'm fairly confident the clutch is fine as it should be if the car has 50k kms.

The appearance of the car and the cleanliness of it really impressed me. It's as is but the motor, underbody everything was clean. The sales guy says it came in like that. He did genuinely sound surprised about how clean the car was and how good shape it looked. Before seeing the car he said he hadn't seen it beforehand (Maybe true maybe false). He also kept doubting/saying he doesn't know why they wouldn't safety the vehicle and sell it. His conclusions was the car was too old, was a manual and maybe due to the lift kit he doesn't know if they would pass it on a safety.

When we got back inside the dealership I pushed the safety again, he said they wouldn't do it. The reason was because if they find a problem with the vehicle they would then have to disclose the problem so therefore they rather just save the risk and sell as is.

After negotiations he brought up that the car would have to be towed, at that time I said so I can't pay and get them to safety the vehicle even after I've purchased it? He said "wait maybe like that I can, I'd have to ask my mana... wait no we just can't. We can't safety it. We won't safety it."

That reaction for me was a red flag. As if he remembered why they couldn't make that happen, as if he knew why or knew of a problem. At the same time maybe they just can't safety it due to the lift and the tires. But in my head just tell me that and no stress I'll get it safety somewhere else.

I'll attach the videos and pictures of the underbody and everything else. The soft top looked in great conditions

Do we buy the story of it being a promo car and they just don't want to safety it due to policy?
If the car sat for 4 years even indoors, would you buy it? What implications do I have to worry about?

price wise it is a very good deal. (AM I buying the deal of the decade?) Any info is appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by R2D; 08-09-2024 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-09-2024, 06:09 PM
R2D
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12hx...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12c7...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12tm...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12lK...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12q8...w?usp=drivesdk

Videos of the underbody
Old 08-09-2024, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,687 Posts

100%, if you buy it plan on removing that Rough Country lift and components and starting the suspension over from scratch. if you can DIY all work yourself, and you can work on the engine when necessary, the price would have to be right. If you can't, I wouldn't consider it. that is just me.

Quick Reply: 2012 deal of the decade?