Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Smittybilt XRC8 Winch Troubleshooting

Old 02-14-2016, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smittybilt XRC8 Winch Troubleshooting

Wanted to ask if anyone has any issues with their winches dealing on spooling troubleshoot. I have an XRC8 (free from 4Wheel Parts, price winning). I got it installed with no issues and managed to get it working. I've only used it twice several years ago and it has been almost a year now that I am unable to get it spool free. The motor still works with the remote, just the cable is not catching or retract. I'm tempted to take it apart and clean it but it hasn't been submerged to any mud or heavy dirt so I doubt the gears are clogged. I have read the grease used on these winches are not the best. I'm not too familiar on winches maintenance wise, so wanted to get some feedbacks, thanks!
Old 02-14-2016, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My XRC8 winch used to be tricky to switch the lever over to free spoil. I had to jiggle it a bit to get it in position. Does the lever click into free spoil position? Does the remote turn the drum when it's in the free spoil position?
Old 02-14-2016, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXBeachJK
My XRC8 winch used to be tricky to switch the lever over to free spoil. I had to jiggle it a bit to get it in position. Does the lever click into free spoil position? Does the remote turn the drum when it's in the free spoil position?
Hard for me to tell whether if the lever is in actual position, it barely moves like maybe a quarter inch. When I crank the remote I can hear it turning, but the cables don't rotate as if it is not catching. I remember last time I tried pulling another Jeep out the cables will spool out but having trouble rotating back in.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt XRC8 Winch Troubleshooting