Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

2010 JKU Sport “build thread”.....

Old 12-29-2019, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So....... I know it’s personal preference.

But, I’d all but pressed the buy it now button on a spare tire delete/license plate relocation ..... then I started second guessing myself. Mainly after my kids started giving me a hard time... Lol. “No Dad! It won’t look like a Jeep then.... that’s what makes a Jeep is the full-size spare on the back.....” 🤣

I’m not really concerned with carrying a full size spare daily. My commute is 6 mi each way. If I went on a longer trip or vacation I’d toss a spare in the cargo area. Or, I’d thought about fabbing up a hitch mounted spare carrier.

Plan was tossing a full-size 295/70/17 on the 5th OEM rim and leaving it in the garage. Not having an actual “matching spare” on the back drives me nuts! Kids want me to buy a matching aftermarket Vision Manx wheel/295 Geolander MT. 🙄

Thoughts/ ideas?!? Still interested in possibly doing a spare delete/plate relocation for now. Good complete kits (ie- 3rd brake light, plate light, etc)??? I’ve seen the Kentrol kits. They look good minus the older ones having a bluish/purple tag light. ???
Old 12-29-2019, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Spare is dead weight and a new matching one for looks is a waste of money (I know people can argue all day about a 5-trie rotation). Go with a delete. I think you'll appreciate the clean look.
The following users liked this post:
Wilk10JK (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm a fan of a full size spare. Yes, you can patch and plug, get off the trail easily but how often have you been presented with less than ideal conditions? Flat tires are typically a result of neglect by the owner but there are certainly occasions where you run over a nail on the highway or you've got something wedged in the bead. For me, it's much faster to swap the tire and jeep keep moving. I can deal with the flat when I've got adequate light (or shade) and heat/ air conditioning.

The other thing I've done in the past is to carry a space saving spare- same overall diameter, but not a full width. It would serve the same purpose to get you to a comfortable spot without the penalty of the weight of a full size spare. Get a narrower black wheel, narrow tire, keep it covered, and run with it.

Spare tire delete does arguably save a ton of money. Bumpers, tire carrier, hinges, buying/ maintaining 5th wheel. I've just been in places where I didn't want to monkey with fixing a tire and it was quite a bit faster to swap it and keep moving.
Wilk10JK (12-30-2019)
Old 01-01-2020, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

If I went all out and spent the coin on a matching full-size 5th tire/wheel, I’d definitely do a 5 tire rotation. Whether I actually carried it on the Jeep all the time or not!?! Drives me crazy to see a full-size matching spare with nubs still on the tire which has NEVER touched the ground and four practically bald tires on the ground. Makes no sense to me!?!

I like the clean deleted look and the idea of a little weight savings.

I may do the spare delete/license plate relocation for now and eventually get a bumper with a tire carrier option. I really am not fond of the added stress of a heavier aftermarket tire/wheel on the stock carrier and tailgate hinges.

We’ll see?!?
AmericanBaddAss (04-02-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

MorRyde and Teraflex have a solution to the stock carrier and tailgate hinges. I've got the MorRyde and they've been great. They're greasable so they're set for a lifetime.
Wilk10JK (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I think the aftermarket hinges that Karl suggested are both better options than any bumper-mounted carrier if you go the route of a carrier. They're both very strong. Also, the bumper mount route really limits which bumpers you can choose from. They often rattle a lot too. Finally, if you go the clean route now, you can always add a hinge carrier later if you decided.
Wilk10JK (01-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Haven’t done much to the Jeep since my last post. Just enjoying it!!!

Never did follow through with either option on full-size spare or spare delete. Think I am going to follow through with a matching new full-size tire/wheel soon.

I picked up a set of Quadratec premium LED headlights for it. Then picked up some Amazon “matching” LED fog lights. Pretty happy with both! Headlight output is amazing compared to the dim factory hazy halogens.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Do you have a link for the fog lights? I'm looking to add some to a 2016 and the Mopar fog lights are MUCH brighter than the Axial (extreme terrain brand) ones.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:40 AM
JK Newbie

These are the ones I got from Amazon. Also, I’m planning go back now that the weather is warming up and paint the chrome headlight trim bezels black.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015X...b_b_asin_title

Last edited by Wilk10JK; 04-02-2020 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Thank you, I have been looking at those but wasn't sure if they'd work without the anti- flicker harness. They were just plug and play for you?

Quick Reply: 2010 JKU Sport “build thread”.....