Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

2008 JKU "Argenta" - Build Thread

Old 09-06-2024, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now the Jegs site says the axle will ship on 9/11, so I called and spoke to Customer Service, and have been told "the (Dana 60 rear) axle is absolutely on order and is listed in the computer as having an expected ship date of 9/16". I've decided to keep the order open until at least October. My preference is still the UD60, as I really prefer the ground clearance and e-locker for my needs. If the axle doesn't ship by then, I'm just going to assume that they simply aren't able to get one and will begin working on that 14 Bolt, just in time for Black Friday Sales.

That all said, I don't like just waiting around and get antsy to do stuff. I figured I'd at least start tearing the axle down and cleaning up the housing. I ground down all the bracket welds and got more of the scale and rust off. I have a needle scaler coming this weekend to get the rest of the scale on the center chunk. I wasn't able to get the bolts out of the diff cover as they had rusted round, and the ones I was able to get out have AMPLE amounts of Red Loctite on them for some reason. What type of psycho uses Red Loctite on the diff cover?!?!?! Anyway, a trip to the hardware store to pick up some 9/16" nuts gave me enough tries to get the stuck bolts off with the old "weld-on-a-nut" trick.

Gears look good (factory 4.10's) and what I think is a GovLoc. I'm going to brake clean the inside of the housing out, pull the shafts, and strip the hubs. From there I'll run a tap down each of the diff cover bolt holes and then finish cleaning up the housing and tubes to make it "weld ready" - which reminds me, I need to pick up some weld-thru primer...

Quick Reply: 2008 JKU "Argenta" - Build Thread