Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Yet another light question

Old 11-23-2011, 03:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another light question

Hey Guys and Gals,

I own a 2011 Wrangler unlimited and Plan on installing a rugged ridge bumper light bar with three 100w KC slimlights tonight after work. Anyway, after a coule of hours last night searching the forums on how to wire them properly, I'm still confused. The directions that came with the lights seem fairly straight forward but I'm not sure where to tap in the white wire. KC recommends the white wire to be tapped into the high/low beams or another 12v switched wire. I believe the white wire is only used to power the relay. I would like to tap it into the side marker light this way I can have the KC's on any time the parking lights are on but I'm concerned that if I do that it will screw with the CANBUS and cause all sorts of issues. I know I could add a fuse to the fuse box per the thread " easy 12v switched outlet" but I would rather just tap the side marker light as I'm more comfortable doing it that way.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question.....let me know what you found out.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleanerguy
Hey Guys and Gals,

I own a 2011 Wrangler unlimited and Plan on installing a rugged ridge bumper light bar with three 100w KC slimlights tonight after work. Anyway, after a coule of hours last night searching the forums on how to wire them properly, I'm still confused. The directions that came with the lights seem fairly straight forward but I'm not sure where to tap in the white wire. KC recommends the white wire to be tapped into the high/low beams or another 12v switched wire. I believe the white wire is only used to power the relay. I would like to tap it into the side marker light this way I can have the KC's on any time the parking lights are on but I'm concerned that if I do that it will screw with the CANBUS and cause all sorts of issues. I know I could add a fuse to the fuse box per the thread " easy 12v switched outlet" but I would rather just tap the side marker light as I'm more comfortable doing it that way.

Thanks!
You are correct. This wire supplies power to the switch. And the switch only controls the relay. KC wants you to tap into a lighting circuit so that the aux lights will only function when your OEM lighting circuit is on. And the aux lights will not function when the Jeep is off. Any accessory circuit will accomplish virtually the same thing.

Quick Reply: Yet another light question