Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Yes, another light wiring question

Old 02-26-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My goal:
I was trying to use my dome light switch to switch on my windshield lights and i already have my factory fog light switch for my aftermarket fogs. I wanted to have a completely clean look/no extra switches/holes anywhere visible but really cant justify trying to figure out all the wiring since I also need a switch for OBA
With that said...

I just figured out what my wiring/ set up will be regarding all lights and switches..

I'm going to run a separate fuse box(3-5 fuses) along with their respective relays to run my fogs, windshield lights and OBA

I believe i found a slick spot to hide 2 switches that are an easy reach from driving position and not visible. I'm trying my hardest not to have switches just anywhere and also don't want to waste money on a pillar pod or delta switch pnl for below the hazards.
Btw I have an 07.

I'll post pics ASAP.

Last edited by Mcguyver; 02-26-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=JK-Ford;2867503]If you connected the switch power to an accessory circuit in the fuse box, then there is no way that the lights can be turned on when the key is out of the ignition.

Sorry...that is correct. I meant to say to tap into an "always hot" fuse slot with a dual fuse tap. This way the wire has a fuse.

Went to wire it up and the harness I had already had an inline fuse added so I just went straight to the battery.

So far so good. It all works but I know I'm gonna go redo it and use an aux fuse box because the battery area is getting messy.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcguyver
My goal:
I was trying to use my dome light switch to switch on my windshield lights and i already have my factory fog light switch for my aftermarket fogs. I wanted to have a completely clean look/no extra switches/holes anywhere visible but really cant justify trying to figure out all the wiring since I also need a switch for OBA
The only way to use the OEM switches is to tap into the circuits that they control. This certainly wouldn't work for the dome light switch. However, I can teach you how to turn them on with your high beams ( if you are interested ).
Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think I want to use the high beams to turn them on and off. I will defiantly ask you if I change my mind though.

As far as the dome switch... I wanted to figure out a way to use the manual dome switch on my blinker stalk to turn on the windshield lights and use the door switches for the dome....so when the door opens, that switches on my dome lights.... Just needed to figure out a way to wire that...this is with the windshield lights using their own relay
Any ideas?

Last edited by Mcguyver; 02-28-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 AM
JK Junkie

I don't think I want to use the high beams to turn them on and off. I will defiantly ask you if I change my mind though.

As far as the dome switch... I wanted to figure out a way to use the manual dome switch on my blinker stalk to turn on the windshield lights and use the door switches for the dome....so when the door opens, that switches on my dome lights.... Just needed to figure out a way to wire that...this is with the windshield lights using their own relay
Any ideas?
As you probably know, our systems are a lot different than traditional systems. So the only possible way would be to cut the OEM switch conductors and re-route them to do what you want. And even that may not be possible depending on how the power is distributed to the controls in that area.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

As you probably know, our systems are a lot different than traditional systems. So the only possible way would be to cut the OEM switch conductors and re-route them to do what you want. And even that may not be possible depending on how the power is distributed to the controls in that area.
This is why I decided just to drill some holes that will not be noticeable to keep a clean looking/sleek interior. Wish it was my classic mini traditional wiring... So simple it's was too simple. I really can't justify all the research/questions and attempts to try to do what i wanted to do Would it be cool and awesome.... IMO ....YES! but I would really need someone who knows this system in and out.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

but I would really need someone who knows this system in and out.
Collectively - we do.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I might need to start another thread to get some more people who know the wiring system/harness.
Just trying to think of a good title?..
"experienced wiring help needed"

"How to re-wire my dome light switch" need help...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 AM
JK Junkie

I might need to start another thread to get some more people who know the wiring system/harness.
Just trying to think of a good title?..
"experienced wiring help needed"

"How to re-wire my dome light switch" need help...
What you are asking for is major surgery on the OEM circuitry. And it isn't going to be easy even if you get a definitive answer. Bottom line: a switch is a switch no matter what. You could cut into the harness inside the stearing stalk at the closest point to that switch. Boy would that be a PITA. I would suggest considering all your alternatives.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Think you might be right.... Lol... I'm just a little crazy when I get an idea, 95% of the time it needs to become reality. I know I know.... It's a sickness I have and I love the challenge...lol.
but... In this case...
I think I'm just going to install 2 switches on my center "radio dash" and call it a day...

Last edited by Mcguyver; 02-29-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Yes, another light wiring question