Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Yes, another light wiring question

Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, another light wiring question

Just trying to figure out the best way to wire up my new Hella windshield lights. As of now I have a set of delta fogs using a relay and I tapped into the factory fog light so I can use my factory switch. I know I need to install a switch in the the cab

so My question is I need to run another relay of the batt with another inline fuse and run a another complete new circuit or is there a circuit I can use/tap into and just run a switch?

just want to see if theres an option I'm missing
Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd run a complete new circuit so they run independent of the other lights. You can buy a complete wiring harness at auto zone ,pep boys or where ever you buy auto parts at.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I'm thinking, I have all the parts, relay, switch and wire that I would need ... Just wanted to know if there were any other options..
Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I ran a seperate relay and ran my switch off of the parking lights. It works well. I didn't want to have to have the headlights on to use them
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

You just tapped into the parking lights to power relay, you still have a separate(added) switch?... I'm going to try to find a clever way to switch them on... Not sure how or with what but I'll keep you guys posted...
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mcguyver
You just tapped into the parking lights to power relay, you still have a separate(added) switch?... I'm going to try to find a clever way to switch them on... Not sure how or with what but I'll keep you guys posted...
Ran the switch power for both sets of lights by tapping the parking lights. Relays directly to battery
Old 02-23-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another option that you can try which I'm gonna do is to not tap into any lights (parking, fog, low, high)

Gonna power the switch through the fuse box. Relay direct wire to battery still

Sure I could risk flipping the switch and running down the battery, but I want to turn them on independent of any other light switches. Plus I think I would notice walking away of I accidently turned on aux lights.

Or if you are worried about that then tap the switch power wire to the ignition. Then you'll at least have to have the key in but still no need for other lights to be on.

Last edited by sclan; 02-23-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sclan
Another option that you can try which I'm gonna do is to not tap into any lights (parking, fog, low, high)

Sure I could risk flipping the switch and running down the battery, but I want to turn them on independent of any other light switches. Plus I think I would notice walking away of I accidently turned on aux lights.

Or if you are worried about that then tap the switch power wire to the ignition. Then you'll at least have to have the key in but still no need for other lights to be on.
I always worried about wiring it like that and being parked somewhere with the top and doors off and having people mess with the lights
Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good point.

Because of the inherent concern of topless/doorless parking I had installed a proximity alarm a month after I got the JK.

Still doesn't stop jerks and it would suck to have someone flip all your lights and walk away.

The extra step of at least taping to the ignition is a lot less then having to jump your battery.

Thanks for the point. Will probably tap into the ignition now. And I turn the engine on anyway if I know I need the lights on for a while stationary.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sclan

Sure I could risk flipping the switch and running down the battery, but I want to turn them on independent of any other light switches
If you connected the switch power to an accessory circuit in the fuse box, then there is no way that the lights can be turned on when the key is out of the ignition.

Mcguyver
I'm going to try to find a clever way to switch them on... Not sure how or with what but I'll keep you guys posted...
What type of control schem are you interested in?

Quick Reply: Yes, another light wiring question