Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

yes another gps question

Old 11-14-2007, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes another gps question

I've been looking to upgrade my current and old gps to something newer. Because of one of the few I have is geocaching this is more for the cachers out here. So here's the questiobn. I'm just wondering which, gps that is, would be the best for:
1) city/road driving
2) off-roading
3) geocaching.
Any help in finding one or giving me an idea for one would be very helpful.

Thanx
Old 11-14-2007, 07:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm very happy with my Garmin map60csx. Throw a card in it and you can load both city and topo maps. It holds 1,000 (geocache) waypoints which is great for road trips and vacations. Super accurate and holds a signal extremely well. If you like to hike it's fun to upload your track log and elevation profile to your computer so you have a graphical image of your hike - use Garmin's free xImage software that is downloadable on their website. I always use my 60csx while I'm driving, but it doesn't have the big screen and voice that talks to you like a dedicated vehicle unit does so it's not the "perfect" unit for a vehicle, but once you learn to decipher the beep you'll hardly need to look at it anyway.

Only downsides - price (but it might be cheaper now than when I bought it), and the electronic compass may need to be recalibrated frequently if your batteries aren't seated properly. I put a bit of something behind the prongs that hold the batteries in place and that solved the problem for me.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OffTopic
I'm very happy with my Garmin map60csx. Throw a card in it and you can load both city and topo maps. It holds 1,000 (geocache) waypoints which is great for road trips and vacations. Super accurate and holds a signal extremely well. If you like to hike it's fun to upload your track log and elevation profile to your computer so you have a graphical image of your hike - use Garmin's free xImage software that is downloadable on their website. I always use my 60csx while I'm driving, but it doesn't have the big screen and voice that talks to you like a dedicated vehicle unit does so it's not the "perfect" unit for a vehicle, but once you learn to decipher the beep you'll hardly need to look at it anyway.

Only downsides - price (but it might be cheaper now than when I bought it), and the electronic compass may need to be recalibrated frequently if your batteries aren't seated properly. I put a bit of something behind the prongs that hold the batteries in place and that solved the problem for me.
You sold me! I want to pay a lot of money for something that only beeps, that is if the batteries dont fall out first!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubimon
You sold me! I want to pay a lot of money for something that only beeps, that is if the batteries dont fall out first!
Rubimon you're such a smartass! You know it doesn't only beep, it blips too!

OK, if I wasn't clear...it has a hand-held sized screen with an incredible amount of detail. I prefer to keep my eyes on the road while I'm driving, most of the time...
Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Offtopic, how do you have the Garmin mounted in your Jeep? I want to use my 60cs for the topo maps when off road but I can't find a good solution to mount it.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't have mine mounted, I just throw in on the passenger seat (or passenger if it's occupied ) and grab it when I need it. Yet another mod on the planned list for the jk.

Jeepcacher has his mounted on his driver's side windshield. I'm almost positve he said he's using the Garmin mount, and he said he hasn't had any problems with it staying in place on the trail. Might want to pm him to make sure.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Hmmm...don't know what's with the duplicate post?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phil0352
I've been looking to upgrade my current and old gps to something newer. Because of one of the few I have is geocaching this is more for the cachers out here. So here's the questiobn. I'm just wondering which, gps that is, would be the best for:
1) city/road driving
2) off-roading
3) geocaching.
Any help in finding one or giving me an idea for one would be very helpful.

Thanx
The Magellan Crossover GPS can do all three. Street maps, topo, and even marine.

Quick Reply: yes another gps question