Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Yellow fogs

Old 03-21-2007, 04:50 PM
HEK
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow fogs

I'm looking into switching the stock fog bulbs with some yellow bulbs as I did my TL , I noticed these are brighter and since there are no light poles almost all the way into work I think I can benefit from them.
Anyone have the size of these available???....thanks...

HEK
Old 03-22-2007, 05:25 AM
Former Member

I'm pretty sure while going through the manual all bulbs were listed.
I was kind of surprised that the third brake light is LEDs which is why I remember the list.
Yellow fogs sound good to me as well.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HEK
I'm looking into switching the stock fog bulbs with some yellow bulbs as I did my TL , I noticed these are brighter and since there are no light poles almost all the way into work I think I can benefit from them.
Anyone have the size of these available???....thanks...

HEK
The stock fog log bulbs are 9145, or H10, depending on what part# the manufacturer uses.

You could also possibly get a 9005 to work (did so in a previous vehicle that took 9145 before aftermarket had 9145 replacements) with some trimming of the plastic around the bulb (9005 is a close, but not exact fit....what you would need to trim might vary a little from what I had to trim back then).

Not sure if anyone makes a yellow variant of this....I went with SilverStar for it and the headlamps.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:04 AM
HEK
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
I'm pretty sure while going through the manual all bulbs were listed.
I was kind of surprised that the third brake light is LEDs which is why I remember the list.
Yellow fogs sound good to me as well.
Thanks 101gargoyles, the manual is a book I read when I got the Jeep and I should keep it handy at home in my "lybrary/ bathroom" instead of the glove compartment...merci...

Area-51 I was posting as you responded..thanks man.....

I found a place I'm calling for these, click on properties for the web site...

Last edited by HEK; 03-22-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HEK
Thanks 101gargoyles, the manual is a book I read when I got the Jeep and I should keep it handy at home in my "lybrary/ bathroom" instead of the glove compartment...merci...

Area-51 I was posting as you responded..thanks man.....

I found a place I'm calling for these, click on properties for the web site...

What difference does the yellow make?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jk4door
What difference does the yellow make?

It lets you light your name in the snow.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Watt for watt, the yellow bulbs will produce LESS lumens. On a plus note, they tend to be more visible to fellow drivers.

As the current lighting on the JK is substandard, I'll be sticking with the factory white bulbs in my fogs, unless I decide to upgrade to 3000K HID bulbs.

Tom
Bryson City, NC

Last edited by SpudRacer; 04-23-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]Watt for watt, the yellow bulbs will produce LESS lumens.
Lumens....they have medicine to cure that!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Watt for watt, the yellow bulbs will produce LESS lumens. On a plus note, they tend to be more visible to fellow drivers.
While I can't vouch for the light output, I can tell you that yellow light makes things more visible to the human eye. That is why driving glasses have yellow lenses, etc.
The problem with yellow headlights is that they also have worse glare, which interferes with oncoming cars. The reason GT cars have yellow headlights is for more visibility for the driver.

However, if you believe everything on the internet, there are a myriad of reasons why to use and not to use yellow. So, the message is, use whatever you want. I would run yellow headlamps if the state would let me, but they won't. So, I don't know if I will change my fogs to yellow or not.

Last edited by Dr.McNinja; 04-04-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:56 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Area-51
The stock fog log bulbs are 9145, or H10, depending on what part# the manufacturer uses.

You could also possibly get a 9005 to work (did so in a previous vehicle that took 9145 before aftermarket had 9145 replacements) with some trimming of the plastic around the bulb (9005 is a close, but not exact fit....what you would need to trim might vary a little from what I had to trim back then).

Not sure if anyone makes a yellow variant of this....I went with SilverStar for it and the headlamps.
The 9005 bulbs work with a little trimming of one of the tabs. There are many write ups out there on the 9145 to 9005 mod if you google it. I'm running 65w yellowstars in mine and really like them. However I have to run them off a relay becuase the circuit breaker will not handle the higher wattage. The stock fogs are 42w and the computer does not seem to like anything higher. I just use the stock fog wiring to trip the relay. You only need one dual 87 terminal relay.

Last edited by dsy; 04-05-2007 at 05:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Yellow fogs