Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Yaesu FTM-10R All-Weather Motorsports Ham Radio

Old 03-01-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yaesu FTM-10R All-Weather Motorsports Ham Radio

Anyone have one of the new Yaesu FTM-10R ham radios yet?

yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encP rodID=AF7E08DC3F2467B1B4B2CB4DA49BCF88&DivisionID= 65&isArchived=0

The main radio is not waterproof, but the control panel and hand mic are. Also bluetooth capable. This thing looks like it should be able to survive life in a topless Jeep easily.

Mine arrives on Wednesday and I can't wait to get it installed. I'm going to try to tuck the main unit up under the glove box then mount the front panel and mic jack either above the rear view mirror or to the left of the driver's sun visor.

I may get the bluetooth add ons later. The bluetooth headset is pretty cool--it has an actual boom mic unlike most cell phone BT headsets. Maybe this headset would work with no doors and no roof.

Yippee.

-Glen
Old 03-01-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default New Yeasu

Glenn,
Let me know how you like it. Iam in the market for a new Yeasu for my jeep. I was leaning towards the FT-857. Curious how the new ft10 is though. Chris
Old 03-01-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bikerglen
Anyone have one of the new Yaesu FTM-10R ham radios yet?

Yippee.

-Glen
Nice. Too bad I had already bought my IC2200H.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by csims723
Glenn,
Let me know how you like it. Iam in the market for a new Yeasu for my jeep. I was leaning towards the FT-857. Curious how the new ft10 is though. Chris
Well, my experience so far has not been great. I bought the mic jack that mounts under the front panel. I went to install it thinking it's like every flex connector I've ever used before--pull up, insert cable, push down. I pull up on the lip of the connector and it comes off the main circuit board taking three traces with it.

Turns out this is a pure friction flex connector--there's no latching mechanism. Just push the flex cable in and be done with it. Anyway, I'm now looking at a $70/hour repair and $70 for a new motherboard. Five to ten days to look at the radio and four to six weeks for parts to come in. The radio will work without this connector, but I really want to use the DTMF hand mic without pulling the cable out from under the seat where the main chassis will be mounted.

Anyhoo, other than that, it's a great radio. Very solid construction. Metal chassis. Sensitive mic. High-audio quality. Menus are easier to use than my Icom ID-800 and even the Icom IC-7000, but not as easy to use as the Kenwood TH-F6A's.

I picked up a 10 year old TM-241 50W 2M rig from a ham who was getting rid of it for $25. Looks like that's my Jeep radio until the Yaesu is repaired.

I'm wondering what else I can break today.

-Glen

Quick Reply: Yaesu FTM-10R All-Weather Motorsports Ham Radio