Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wrangler Speakers

Old 07-10-2019, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler Speakers

I just had a local car stereo shop install a pair of Alpine SPV-65x-WRA speakers in the dash and roll bar of my 2017 2-door JK, along with a 1000 watt sub (2 12's in a sealed box) and an amp (Alpine KTA-30FW, 75 watts RMS x 4) and a head unit (Alpine i207-WRA).

To be completely honest, I really don't like how the SPV-65x-WRA speakers sound. They have a ton of 200-700hz, and they are a bit harsh in the 3.5k range, and they have very little crispiness up in the 14-16k range. They kind of sound like a bullhorn. In my opinion, a good speaker should be loud where our ears are not very sensitive, up in the 14-16k range, and softer in the 3.5k range where harshness occurs. I can correct some of this with the head unit's EQ, but it still ends up sounding weird, and the head unit reduces the volume going to the amp when you use the EQ to prevent clipping, so using the EQ extensively results in a signal that's not as loud.

The shop that installed the speakers will replace them within 30 days if I'm not satisfied, and these speakers were explicitly recommended by the shop as sounding good in the Jeep so I feel like it's partially not my fault. I just really don't want to be that guy and go back to the shop and tell them to pull the speakers back out if I don't have to, and I especially don't want to do that if it turns out that I'm just hearing the sound of the jeep cabin resonance or something. I was thinking I'd prefer some Hertz speakers. People say they are loud and bright which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Has anyone else installed these speakers? What did you think of them? Have you tried any other speakers? Do Jeeps just sound boomy and boxy and you have to deal with it?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

In my experience the front speaker pods are too small in volume and need ported and polyfill. I upgraded my head unit with stock and and sub and put 12oz of poly in each side of the roll bar and 6oz of poly in each front pod and drilled and resin glued a 2in ID pvc pipe connector in the back of the front pods to create a port. Bingo.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

I have tweeters, midrange drivers, and subs. I want less midrange. Wouldn't porting and polyfilling the midrange boxes make the problem worse?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Somebody on another forum said that adding polyfill would give me less volume but a flatter frequency response, which sounds like exactly what I need in the midrange. Is that how it works? That seems fishy, I've heard that polyfill "tricks your speakers into thinking they're in a bigger box", which seems like it'd mean it'd sound louder and lower?
Old 07-14-2019, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

In my case the front speakers were tripping over themselves in the 350 to 750 range. They were farting out and couldn't respond quick enough because of the back pressure from the bass. Polyfill does trick the speaker into thinking it is in a bigger box because it slows down the sound wave and they take more time to bounce back. I assume you like me have the same speakers front and in the roll bar. However the roll bar has more than twice the volume of the front pods. I put the 100w kickers 6.5s in mine front and roll bar and the fronts didn't sound right until I ported them.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by casamtb
In my case the front speakers were tripping over themselves in the 350 to 750 range. They were farting out and couldn't respond quick enough because of the back pressure from the bass. Polyfill does trick the speaker into thinking it is in a bigger box because it slows down the sound wave and they take more time to bounce back. I assume you like me have the same speakers front and in the roll bar. However the roll bar has more than twice the volume of the front pods. I put the 100w kickers 6.5s in mine front and roll bar and the fronts didn't sound right until I ported them.
Do you have any pics of your ported fronts?
Old 08-28-2019, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Y’all are lucky! I can’t hear anything over 6,000 hertz

Quick Reply: Wrangler Speakers