Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wrangler/Nitro amp this issue is MESSED up

Old 08-12-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tried this and it didn't change anything.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

i also tried this and received no results. i also replaced my amp with the nitro one and did not experience much difference at all. there must have been a change made in the set up of the stereos installed at some point.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie

Wow! This is a weird discovery. I installed the Nitro amp with my soft top on and I noticed an immediate difference. So I could jump this plug or reinstall my hard top and see even more? That sounds great. This is so simple, I'll have to try it.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

If you don't have the hard top connector you can get to this from the back side of the instrument panel. There are 3 connectors on the back, it's the 20 pin connector closer to the driver side door. The wire is pin 18 (violet/white). Splice it and ground it to chassis and your good to go. I have the nitro amp and soft top only and it made a significant difference.

-Brian
Old 08-21-2008, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jacket jeeper
If you don't have the hard top connector you can get to this from the back side of the instrument panel. There are 3 connectors on the back, it's the 20 pin connector closer to the driver side door. The wire is pin 18 (violet/white). Splice it and ground it to chassis and your good to go. I have the nitro amp and soft top only and it made a significant difference.

-Brian
Any change you could nab a picture?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean on the backside of the guages on the dash? That is the only instrument panel I know of.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, on the back side of the instrument panel with gauges. You get it out by first taking off the steering column panel. This will reveal 2 screws holding the cover for the instrument panel. Take them out and take the cover off. Then take off the the 4 screws holding the instrument panel and look on the back (You can pull it out a little bit with the connectors on). There are 3 connectors going to it, a 10pin black one, a 20 pin brown one, and a 20 pin black one. The 20 pin black is what you want and there should only be one violet/white wire going into it. Sorry, I didn't get a pic but here is the pinout of that connector, I think it will be obvious when you see it.

CLUSTER C3 – BLACK 20 WAY CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
1 - -
2 - -
3 - -
4 - -
5 C215 20LB REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER SWITCH SIGNAL
6 - -
7 C21 18DB/LG EVAPORATOR TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL
8 C4 18LB A/C INDICATOR DRIVER
9 - -
10 X3 20DG/VT HORN SWITCH SENSE
11 K321 18BR/YL BTSI UNLOCK SIGNAL
12 - -
13 - -
14 T6 18DG TOW/HAUL OD OFF SIGNAL
15 - -
16 - -
17 - -
18 G926 18VT/WT REAR WIPER SWITCH MUX RETURN
19 - -
20 - -
Old 08-21-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

I took my top off and noticed no real difference in sound. Are the people who notice a reduction in volume solely those who got their amps flashed by the dealers?

It's certainly strange how some people notice huge improvements doing the nitro amp mod, others don't, and how some need to keep their top plugged in etc.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didn't remember noticing a difference when the original infinity amp was there and i took the top off. then with the top off, switched to nitro amp, didn't notice a whole lot of difference, maybe a little and confirmed that with some recordings i had done to compare.

then with the nitro amp in, put the top back on and wham!!! huge volume increase, i made the jumper and i can sit there and put jumper in, volume up, remove jumper volume down, that's with the nitro amp.

never had anything flashed at the dealer.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

There are many owners depending on when they got there JK that had the flash done prior to taking delivery. dealer done, or shipped from factory that way if built POST build runs that needed flash. Also, if someone brought it in to the dealer for something else never asking for the flash, they probably got the flash if it was a candidate and may have never been told about it. One can have the dealer check the computer to see if the SA flash was done, or if it qualified, don't ask me the build dates for qualification I don't know. NOTE, we are not talking about the standard radio here, only the Infinity 368 watt system. Why the potential for having it done without knowledge? Simple, it is a "Service Advisory" SA, that covered potential POPING and CRACKLING in the speakers, NOT a TSB. Service advisories are supposed to be automatically done by the dealer when a vehicle comes in for any type of service.

Take this warning for what it may be worth to any of you. If your JK is one that is supposed to get the flash, and Chryslers computer system shows that it has NOT been done yet, and you have installed a Nitro amp, guess what will happen if you take it into the dealer for something, your Nitro amp will get flashed. You want to make sure your JK shows on the computer that the flash has been done, if it was a candidate.

Also, if there is anyone with connections or wants to work this lead, here is a challenge for someone, I don't have the time rite now. The question is out there with many of us on, WHO can and will re-program these Infinity amps. Example, I have my original JK amp that was flashed, according to the dealers research, they can't be reprogrammed to the original. Well, I know that is BS, it's a matter of finding the rite source. There is no reason for example I shouldn't be able to send my JK amp in and have it programmed exactly like the NItro amp. OK here is the lead to get anyone started. The company that deals with these and in my understanding works up the flashes on these in the first place is United Radio www.unitedradio.com. It would be nice if someone could get to the inner circle and set up a method for JK owners to get their amps fixed.

Quick Reply: Wrangler/Nitro amp this issue is MESSED up