Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wrangler/Nitro amp this issue is MESSED up

Old 08-07-2008, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler/Nitro amp this issue is MESSED up

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=35943&page=6

WOW where do I start. The link above is included because it is relative to this. I am one that has had problems with my sound system not performing since the dealer did the SA flash on my 7 speaker infinity system. Working with the dealer basically got me nothing. In there defense they eventually, after some very frank unhappy discussions on my part agreed or seamed to anyway that there was a definite problem since the flash, although after they did a lot of research they weren't able to get Jeep to pay for a Nitro amp and the flash couldn't be undone, but would sell me a Nitro amp for real cheap, which is what I ended up doing. They are not on back order currently anyway just FYI. At the same time I ordered some Infinity Kappa 63.7i's for both front and overhead bar, figuring I would upgrade the speakers while I was at it.

Backing up for a moment, I had read the post which I linked above in my research on this issue and had tried what was outlined in the thread. My results which I posted in the thread were not what the original poster had experienced, I had experienced no better sound or volume. Anyway today I get my new Nitro amp and the speakers from Crutchfield had come in a couple days ago although I wanted to install the amp first to see the diff. I Installed the amp, piece of cake, literally 15 min. Fire up the stereo and to my great disappointment there is NO difference from the stock Wrglr amp. NONE! The same crappy sound bar sound, and No increase in overall volume. So I go about installing the new speakers in the sound bar first, NO difference. CRAP! What a waist I am thinking. Leaving the whole CRAPIN project I walk away and spend some time on the computer.

When I hit this board forum I happen to see the thread linked above, toward the top with a new post which I hadn't read yet, THANK YOU "jfreeddo" for your post on that topic, the timing couldn't have been any better. I read your experience with the hardtop plug re the Wrglr vs the Nitro amp and honestly my first though was, YA RITE, I already tried the jumping the wires thing and there was no difference, and why would it make a difference between the two amps. A little part of me said well, what the heck, it's worth a try now that I have the Nitro amp in, after all the thing sounds crappy rite now. So I go back down to the garage and get the little jumper wire I made a couple weeks ago, still in the trash, fire the stereo up and jump the wires, and WOW, UNBELIEVABLE, the thing ROCKS now. "jfreeddo" if you hadn't posted your experience, I would NEVER had gone back and tried the same thing with the Nitro amp, having already done it with the stock amp. THANK YOU.

Why the strange happenings with this sound system? Why does the jumper not work with the stock amp but it does with the Nitro amp? Some on here have plugged in the Nitro amp with instant results, but mine was the same until I jumped the wires. This whole thing STINKS, and it's unbelievable that NO ONE around MOPAR seems to give a care. FOLKS that are having this problem, let me tell you the difference between it sounding bad and what it should sound like is literally like night and day. For those of you getting help from your dealers your lucky. Thanks to all who have posted on here about this topic and hopefully my experience will help others as well.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, glad i could help.

Yes, i was sadly disappointed when I installed my nitro amp, I've had my top off for a month and put it in at the 1st of that, then put the top back on couple of nights ago and bam, there it was. Seems kinda weird, almost like the nitro amp needs the "feed" from the plug from the hard top plugged in to make it go vroom!!

The question would be, are the people that posted no change in sound when nitro amp switched out were hard tops with top off or soft tops.

What happens if you're just a soft top, no hard top plug, nitro amp? Maybe it won't even work for those folks. Who knows.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I jumped my hardtop plug last night with no amp change and it made a HUGE difference. The front speakers are much higher and the soundbar volume easily doubled. Silly and I can't believe jeep designed this in... just silly.

Last edited by cgrace12; 08-13-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've read all about the nitro amp swap, but must have glazed over the hard top part, but it makes a little sense to me now... So, since I have a soft top, do I have this hard top plug? And if so, can I "jump" it and use a nitro amp or am I out of luck??
Old 08-08-2008, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Detailed pics of the "jump" would be sweet. I just had my nitro amp installed, with the soft top on, and I am pretty sure it made a difference. I'm curious if doing this other mod will make it even better.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is the other thread that somewhere in it has the wiring diagram and instructions on how to do the jumper

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/removing-hardtop-changes-speaker-output-35943/
Old 08-08-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, but would it be possibel for you to take a photo of the actual jumper you made and connected? Sorry if I am a retard, lol

Originally Posted by jfreeddo
here is the other thread that somewhere in it has the wiring diagram and instructions on how to do the jumper

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35943
Old 08-08-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
I've read all about the nitro amp swap, but must have glazed over the hard top part, but it makes a little sense to me now... So, since I have a soft top, do I have this hard top plug? And if so, can I "jump" it and use a nitro amp or am I out of luck??
That's what I was wondering!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Here are pics of the jumper I made. I simply took solid house type copper wire, shaped it with some needle nose pliers and then clamped the ends with a pair of vice grips to give them a flattened end so they would slide into and stay in the female slots in the plug. Done, simple works great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00492.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	11613   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00493.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	11614  
Old 08-08-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

wow, thats really all yoou have to do? thanks for the pics!!

just have to make sure they slide into the slots that the purple w/white stripe and black wire feed into, correct?

and i assume that when you put the hard top back on, you just pull that jumper out since the problem lies in when the hard top is off? or am i totally off base here?!

Originally Posted by onvacation
Here are pics of the jumper I made. I simply took solid house type copper wire, shaped it with some needle nose pliers and then clamped the ends with a pair of vice grips to give them a flattened end so they would slide into and stay in the female slots in the plug. Done, simple works great.

Quick Reply: Wrangler/Nitro amp this issue is MESSED up