Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Work light(s) out back.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Work light(s) out back.

I'm looking to install a work light on top or top corner of the freedom top in back to provide some illumination if need be during the night (camping, tailgating, what have you).

1. Wondering if anyone has some suggestions/reviews as to a particular light for this application that has worked well for them?
2. Being a little drill-phobic, (especially through the hardtop) ideas for mounting solutions?

Thanks for any info. on the topic!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scamp_71
I'm looking to install a work light on top or top corner of the freedom top in back to provide some illumination if need be during the night (camping, tailgating, what have you).

1. Wondering if anyone has some suggestions/reviews as to a particular light for this application that has worked well for them?
2. Being a little drill-phobic, (especially through the hardtop) ideas for mounting solutions?

I would think some thing like this Delta Light Bar would work really well for waht you want. Unless you made some kind of custom bracket you would have to drill into the hard top to mount.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's an intriguing project. When you get it put together please post up your solution. I would GUESS that you could use the windshield light bracks to the upper corners of the hard top, mount some flood lights of your choice and run the wires to the dash. I simple disconnect at the rear near the discount for the rear wiper would allow you to remove it easily. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

I've definitely already thought about a connection that disconnects easily for removing the top. I do like the thought about using the windshield brackets on the top corners to mount to. Any feedback on a light? Nothing crazy but enough to see what's happening within 10' or so from the back.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

Attachment 108012Attachment 108013Attachment 108017

I used the 4" Hella work lights, wired to the reverse light to get me some additional light when backing up.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

Basically the same idea you've got going on your rig but up high. I've been looking at the Hella work lights online (and I must say I'm super happy with Hella as they sent me a new driving lamp on the house when I broke mine accidentally taking it out of the box). I just wasn't sure as to the light output/spread they would provide. Was also looking at the Apollo series by KC.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda did like the last post but I put the lights on/in the spare tire bracket. I just got some cheap ones from Wal-tucky and wired them to the reverse lights. It really helps when backing up at night. They are the single bolt type that were very easy to drill into the bracket and angle them downward to see.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Will a remote light work for you

GOLights offer a light that you can attach permanently or magnetically. This can be a multi purpose light for you. THEY WORK GREAT !

Originally Posted by scamp_71

Old 12-11-2010, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good idea. Might consider mounting one to my roof rack for camping and such.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Mount Two Stainless Steel Plates using a silicon as you don't want to drill

Just mount one on top Center near windshield and mount another on the rear. The magnetic mount is strong and if you use the wireless remove you can adjust as needed outside of the vehicle. You may want to consider a battery saver that would protect your battery from going too low and NOT start for you!

The other advantage of the Golight is you can quickly attach when needed, so you won't have to worry about THEFT...

QUOTE=Heavy_D;1978822]Good idea. Might consider mounting one to my roof rack for camping and such.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Work light(s) out back.