Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

won't start after new marker light install

Old 07-07-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh crappy. I hope it is an easy fix!!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nytennisaddict
just tried to jump... nothing. off to the dealer I go :(
Darn! I hope it isn't too serious. Keep us posted and good luck!

Tony
Old 07-07-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Keep coming back - looking for an update...
Old 07-07-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is crazy!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any updates? We're all wondering if your JK is back to good health.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's been at the dealership since Thursday. They are still looking into it...

Last update I got, they were checking the computer connections...
Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
Sometimes in situations like this we overlook the obvious.
thx everyone for reading along and offering advice. turns out I was an idiot, and txjeeplover got it right.

while diagnosing the marker light fuses I must have pulled a fuse and put it in the wrong spot (the spot adjacent to it is an unused fuse location). turns out that fuse (m28) was the PCM feed/tcm (protects the communication between the tipm and the PCM). to avoid this in the future I may fill in the other unused slots (ie. empty slots, heated seats, rear window defogger, etc...)

the good news is that I'm a little less of an idiot I was last week :p. and it seems jeep does engineer alot of electronic protection to protect the tipm and PCM and various other electronics).

fortunately the ordeal was just an inconvenience, towing was free, and i only had to pay $100 diagnostic fee (even though it took them several hours of eliminating the more typical no-start reasons before hooking up the tipm wiring harness to a scanner type device to determine what was getting power) and $0.90 for a new fuse :p
Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nytennisaddict
thx everyone for reading along and offering advice. turns out I was an idiot, and txjeeplover got it right.

while diagnosing the marker light fuses I must have pulled a fuse and put it in the wrong spot (the spot adjacent to it is an unused fuse location). turns out that fuse (m28) was the PCM feed/tcm (protects the communication between the tipm and the PCM). to avoid this in the future I may fill in the other unused slots (ie. empty slots, heated seats, rear window defogger, etc...)

the good news is that I'm a little less of an idiot I was last week :p. and it seems jeep does engineer alot of electronic protection to protect the tipm and PCM and various other electronics).

fortunately the ordeal was just an inconvenience, towing was free, and i only had to pay $100 diagnostic fee (even though it took them several hours of eliminating the more typical no-start reasons before hooking up the tipm wiring harness to a scanner type device to determine what was getting power) and $0.90 for a new fuse :p
I'm really glad you got it fixed and that it ultimately cost you so little. What a wonderful blessing! It was an unfortunate accident that lead to a lesson learned; but I'm honestly relieved that it didn't cost you an arm and leg to get the Jeep rolling again. CONGRATS!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome! I am so glad it was an easy fix! And the cost is really pretty amazing given what they had to do!

Quick Reply: won't start after new marker light install