Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

won't start after new marker light install

Old 07-05-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forgot to add, I did make sure the white-jeep-wire goes to the black-led-wire and vice versa.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Jedi

maybe try putting it in 4 LO to bypass the clutch pedal switch to see if it might be that
Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

also checked if any diagnostic trouble codes came up... nothing.

battery is at 12.45v shouldn't be the issue since it's not even cranking.

Last edited by nytennisaddict; 07-05-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PainKiller
maybe try putting it in 4 LO to bypass the clutch pedal switch to see if it might be that
thx for the reminder, just tried this... nothing - so probably not an issue with the clutch switch.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

another idea:
key security code got wiped from computer? (tried bothe keys - but don't think this I the issue since ive read that I should be able to start without a programmed key - though it will die shortly after)
Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sometimes in situations like this we overlook the obvious. Have you checked your battery's voltage? Could be that you simply have a bad battery. I recently encountered a minor delay in starting that resembled the symptoms of a bad battery. Fortunately it was caused by a corroded positive terminal and not a bad battery.

Barring a bad battery or terminals, sounds like you burned out the TIPM or maybe even the WCM. If that is the case, the dealer will have to remove, install, and program a new unit for you. Hope that's not the case though.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
Sometimes in situations like this we overlook the obvious. Have you checked your battery's voltage? Could be that you simply have a bad battery. I recently encountered a minor delay in starting that resembled the symptoms of a bad battery. Fortunately it was caused by a corroded positive terminal and not a bad battery.

Barring a bad battery or terminals, sounds like you burned out the TIPM or maybe even the WCM. If that is the case, the dealer will have to remove, install, and program a new unit for you. Hope that's not the case though.
thx for the reply! unfortunately I checked the battery... multimeter says ~12.5v (where I expected it to be). I cleaned off the terminals, but they looked clean anyway.

yeah, I was thinking at this point it might be a bread board shorted somewhere :(. any ideas on how to confirm and maybe get a used one?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nytennisaddict
thx for the reply! unfortunately I checked the battery... multimeter says ~12.5v (where I expected it to be). I cleaned off the terminals, but they looked clean anyway.

yeah, I was thinking at this point it might be a bread board shorted somewhere :(. any ideas on how to confirm and maybe get a used one?
What about the fusible link on the positive connection? I'm at work and can't look under my hood right now, but doesn't that lead to the starter? Although it may lead to the TIPM. Much like you, I want to think that this is something the Jeep engineers could have predicted and created a fail-safe to prevent major damage to other electrical components.

Other members can correct me if I'm wrong, but accurate diagnosis of a bad WCM or TIPM can only be done with a Starscan tool. Some have reported that a faulty TIPM will cause all kinds of wacky behavior in the Jeep like the wipers working without being activated, dead or inaccurate instrument cluster, and/or other electrical ghosts to arise. Some have just had it go out and the results has been no start. A bad WCM will typically allow the Jeep to start for a few seconds and die or sound your alarm. But again, some have reported that it just failed and the Jeep wouldn't crank.

I know for sure that only a dealer can program either of these items. It's possible you could find a used part, but after installation, you still won't be able to start the Jeep until the dealer programs the Jeep to recognize the new part. Keep in mind most dealers won't agree to program a used part and will require that you allow them to install new or remanufactured Mopar parts prior to programming.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nytennisaddict

Even though it shows 12 volts on the meter, I wouldn't rule out the battery just yet. If you have a set of jumper cables, hook them up to a known good battery and see what happens.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

just tried to jump... nothing. off to the dealer I go :(
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1932735444.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	179186  

Quick Reply: won't start after new marker light install