Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring tailights to a switch

Old 05-11-2013, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring tailights to a switch

Hey guys I tried searching but couldn't find it. I'm looking to wire my tailights in my LOD bumper to my Spod. They are currently wired to come on with my reverse lights but I want the option of also turning them on with my Spod. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-14-2013, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone?????
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by THE HULK
Hey guys I tried searching but couldn't find it. I'm looking to wire my tailights in my LOD bumper to my Spod. They are currently wired to come on with my reverse lights but I want the option of also turning them on with my Spod. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
The lights in the bumper are the 55 watt halogen bulbs right???? Or are they leds??
The reason i ask is, if they are halogens and you have them wired straight from the factory wiring you might be putting too big of an amp load on the wiring for the reverse lights. If they are leds they aren't.

If they are halogens, i would use a relay to power the bumper lights,you get the trigger for the relay from the factory reverse lights harness. You can then wire the SPOD to trigger that same relay, but you have to diode isolate them so there is no feed back problems.

If there leds you can wire the SPOD in to the bumper lights straight, but you must doide isolate them too.
If you wondering way you don't have to use a seperate relay for the leds is because the leds draw only an amp or two at the most.(the factory system can handle that). This is how i wired in my extra leds reverse lights. I can turn them on at anytime with the SPOD or they will turn on when i put it into reverse.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

The lights in the bumper are the ones that LOD sells with their rear bumper. I'm guessing yea 55w. Sounds like a lot of wiring.. I thought it would be an easier way!!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe someone can draw me up a diagram?? I can follow that better.. If its not too much to ask??
Old 05-15-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by THE HULK
Maybe someone can draw me up a diagram?? I can follow that better.. If its not too much to ask??
HERES a rough diagram on how to do it. Get a 35 amp relay, 2 3-amp diodes, fuse holder with 15 amp fuse and all the wire your going to need, use 12 ga from the battery to relay term. 30, From term. 87 too the lites. You can use 18 ga from the SPOD and the reverse lites to the diodes then to the relays.

This set up will let you turn the rear lights on any time you trigger the SPOD and everytime you put the truck in reverse.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Or you can wire it up like this (from my write-up):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup Lights..jpg
Views:	181
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	458296

And refer to my write-up here (in the process of fixing all of the pictures now that I'm finally done with school):

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...switch-129807/

-Dawn
Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepnutt
HERES a rough diagram on how to do it.ya:
You got the right idea. But you can eliminate the diodes by moving the Spod output wire from the 85 terminal to the output terminal of the new relay (T87). Just land all three wires on that terminal.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 05-15-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
You got the right idea. But you can eliminate the diodes by moving the Spod output wire from the 85 terminal to the output terminal of the new relay (T87). Just land all three wires on that terminal.
Yep you can do that too. Just got into the mindset to use SPOD and the reverse light leads to trigger the relay. But use 12 ga wire from the SPOD to power up the lights. Have fun running the wire back there.

Quick Reply: Wiring tailights to a switch