Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring new subwoofer

Old 05-23-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring new subwoofer

I am in the process of working over a new system in my 2007 with infinity. i am going in stages and feeling it all out. im not looking to go crazy with it, just get a little better quality.

so far I have removed the stock sub, sprayed the inside of the box with multiple coats of sound deadening spray, and made a spacer for the new sub (Rockford Fosgate Punch p2d4)

I am about to polyfil and drop in the new sub. the new one is a 4ohm DVC. running it off the stock amp (for now) would it be best to wire it exactly like the stock one or to another method?

Please, i dont need a bunch of opinions about throwing out the stock amp and installing a new one. that will happen after i change out the head unit. this is only temporary.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't see why you couldn't use the stock wiring but I believe you'll find it runs pretty quiet due to being a higher resistance. Factory is a dual 2ohm if I'm not mistaken, but the wiring should handle the power from the factory amp just fine. When you upgrade your amp you'll definitely want to replace the wire in my opinion, not sure I'd trust the lower gauge cable if you're getting a high powered amp.

I've just installed an Alpine PDX-V9 and replaced the wiring with much better wire but also found I didn't like the P1 sub I had planned to use, I did a poor job researching the models and found it was too low on the power handling. I've since replaced it with an Alpine SWR-1043D in a separate box, already worlds happier. With the top off I don't lose my bass which is nice Seemed to be an issue with the original 8" I planned on.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly not a great idea, as pointed out already you will be increasing resistance over the factory sub which is a dual 2 ohm sub so you'll have even less power to the sub. Also for a rockford p 2, you'll be underpowering the hell outta that sub which will likely lead to blowing it if your not careful and lastly the factory box isn't anywhere near the specs that the P2 requires so don't expect an improvement.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

I understand the impedence difference, which is why im asking for the best way to wire this temporarily. the factory JK box specs are only really off on the mounting depth. the 8" P2 only requires .2-.3 cu ft as far as area. the quality of the box is a different story. which is why i have spent a couple days reinforcing it. im looking to get better quality sound while still retaining factory look.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Infinutty
I don't see why you couldn't use the stock wiring but I believe you'll find it runs pretty quiet due to being a higher resistance. Factory is a dual 2ohm if I'm not mistaken, but the wiring should handle the power from the factory amp just fine. When you upgrade your amp you'll definitely want to replace the wire in my opinion, not sure I'd trust the lower gauge cable if you're getting a high powered amp.

I've just installed an Alpine PDX-V9 and replaced the wiring with much better wire but also found I didn't like the P1 sub I had planned to use, I did a poor job researching the models and found it was too low on the power handling. I've since replaced it with an Alpine SWR-1043D in a separate box, already worlds happier. With the top off I don't lose my bass which is nice Seemed to be an issue with the original 8" I planned on.
Do you have any pics of what you did? Have an awkward isobaric box that takes up so much room...looking to put something in the physical location of the stock sub. I'm running a jbl gt series 10"...curious to see what u did.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Ill post pics after i finish installing the sub. I just finished sealing all the edges around the spacer rings. I had to use 2- 3/4" spacer rings to fit the sub. so to make everything look a little cleaner i painted the rings, sealed them in the box, and started painting the entire box.

since you are using a 10" sub. there is a great write up somewhere on here about making a 10" fit in the box by making it over with fiberglass.

Quick Reply: Wiring new subwoofer