Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring a Map light

Old 06-27-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring a Map light

Has anyone wired in a map light on the front windshield at the top center? I was thinking it would be nice to have a little extra light in the front seats. I found this on a quick amazon search.

http://www.amazon.com/Light-WHITE-Un...rds=map+lights

I was thinking I could pull power from somewhere behind the dash or even the light on the rollbar and then wire in a switch on the drivers side pillar.

I know it's not necessary, but might turn out to be useful.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:28 PM
JK Newbie

Looks like an easy one. The girl keeps bugging me to add a light above the sun visor on the pass side. I like the one you found small and easy to use
Old 06-28-2012, 01:34 AM
JK Freak

I have been considering the same thing until recently when I was looking through one of the many parts catalogs and saw a replacement rear view mirror made by CIPA with map lights built in. In the catalog it was $50. I just did a quick search on Amazon and found it for $35 with free shipping.

Totally worth it...

Amazon.com: CIPA 36000 10" Day/Night Mirror w/Map Lights: Automotive

EDIT: It will totally make the wife happy...

Last edited by Evo35; 06-28-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like the mirror with the lights too. I guess you'd still have to get power from somewhere else though, and have a small wire(s) running down into the mirror...it is tempting though. Let me know if you get one and install it.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by iD0C
I like the mirror with the lights too. I guess you'd still have to get power from somewhere else though, and have a small wire(s) running down into the mirror...it is tempting though. Let me know if you get one and install it.
Will do -
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

I had an 07' JK. Went to a local "You pull" auto salvage yard and got a rear view mirror w/ maplights off an Oldsmobile for $10. It slipped right on the mount glued to the windshield. I wired it to the domelight. Looked totally stock. I'm looking to do the same thing on my 12' JKU.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

I just did this the wires are on the passenger side floor board yellow /yellow white/ground is right there as well just use some trailer wiring as its already grouped and color coded really easy got mine from a camaro
Old 07-11-2012, 02:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quadratec sells a magnetic LED map light by Rugged Ridge for around $10. I've had it 4years placed on the front windshield top center where the metal loop is. The magnet sticks over all terrain, and the LED is bright and with barely any power draw I haven't needed to replace the batteries since bought it. Recommended !
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westchester
Quadratec sells a magnetic LED map light by Rugged Ridge for around $10. I've had it 4years placed on the front windshield top center where the metal loop is. The magnet sticks over all terrain, and the LED is bright and with barely any power draw I haven't needed to replace the batteries since bought it. Recommended !
Have the same light and I would also highly recommend it!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's the link Rampage Products 501001 - High-Intensity LED Clip-On Map Light - Quadratec

Quick Reply: Wiring a Map light