Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

wiring help

Old 02-16-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring help

i want to hook up lights to the rr light bar. i have the daystar panel and need to know how to run the wiring. i am retarded when it comes to this but want to learn. i know i need a relay and maybe a fuse somewhere. but i have no clue where the relay and fuse and switch go inbetween the battery and the lights. i have 5 100w lights. pics or horrible drawn pics welcome.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Planning it out and sketching your plan both mechanically and electrically can make the project less bothersome. Since you already know where you'll be mounting the lights (whatever rr is. It means right rear to me but that makes no sense) . It is very important that you fuse at the battery for your power. I'd use a large blade style fuse and a weather tight fuse holder. 500 watts is quite a bit of power. If you plan on turning them on all at once thats about 42 Amps of power drawn. So you'll need a 50 amp relay and a 50 amp fuse AND #8 (very thick) stranded wire. You must also keep in mind that unless you can use the chassis/frame/lamp metal housing for ground that you must run heavy wire for your ground as well. If you ground them individually the wire size can be smaller. You control wire (the wire from the switch to the relay coil) can be small but also must be fused at its source. I used the empty heated seat fuse location and a 5 amp mini blade fuse. Splitting the lights and wiring 2 or 3 instead of all 5 will make the job more complicated but you can use thinner wire. If you decide to power 3 and then 2 more with 2 switches you'll need 2 relays. Think it out and take your time. All relays and power wiring should be under the hood. Your wire length should be kept to a minimum. Don't be tempted to use solid wire. It is very stiff, hard to work with and will eventually break from movement. See e bay for 50 amp relays.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Take a look here http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_dri...hts_wiring.htm
Old 02-16-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ty david the rr stands for Ruggid Ridge. im still not clear on how to hook these up.
battery to fuse and fuse to relay using 8 guage wire.
everything i can use 14 guage wire?

Last edited by Stephen.Presley; 02-16-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

You'll have to explain how you want the lights to operate. Do you want them all on when the switch is flipped? Do you want to control them in 2 steps, separately? 3 on then 2 on or something like that. Take a look here https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/pic-request-rugged-ridge-light-bar-73933/
Is that the idea, only with 5 lights? Or are you doing a roof mount? The wiring from each lamp can be whatever they came with, but when you connect them to power you'll need to run each individual lamp back to the relay. The 12v power from the vehicle battery to the relay will need to carry the power draw equal to the 5 lamps. Each of the 5 lamps will need to have enough wire to reach the relay. I've only done my 2- 55Watt Hellas and didn't need any special wire. It's only about 10 amps. Maybe someone else that has done a 5 lamp setup will answer you. You can always have it done professionally $$$
Old 02-17-2010, 05:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1) Daystar pane
a) One power wire to feed all switches. Wire should be fused @ 3 amps and connected to switched source at the fuse box.
b) One ground wire. Connect to all switches on ground terminal
c) One wire for each switch. Wires should extend from each switch back to your new relay bank.

2) New relay bank
a) One wire from each switch landed on the trigger terminal of each relay.
b) One ground wire jumped to each ground terminal and landed at a solid ground
c) One power wire per relay( #10 awg, fused @ 30 amps ) feed directly from battery and landed on the common terminal of the relay
d) Lights

3) Lights
Treat each light individualy. Run two wires ( #16 awg black/red ) from light to relay bank. Connect black wires to solid ground. Pair two red wires ( two lights ) and land on switched terminal of relay.

Quick Reply: wiring help