Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

This wiring harness seems off

Old 10-26-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This wiring harness seems off

I'm wiring reverse lights and this is the diagram that came from rigid with the lights. They are SR-Q's. It's a 60 amp relay and a 15 amp fuse. I am wondering if I should tap into the 12 volt space in the tpms or not, instead of straight to the battery. Also, if I need a diode in the wire that is tapped into the stock reverse light and runs to the switch. I didn't want to deconstruct the rigid harness but something seems off to me.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Edit: not sure why it's upside down, sorry.

Here's the diagram

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141026_153824.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	581649
Old 10-26-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20141026_154608.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	581652
Old 10-26-2014, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by headrock
I'm wiring reverse lights and this is the diagram that came from rigid with the lights. They are SR-Q's. It's a 60 amp relay and a 15 amp fuse. I am wondering if I should tap into the 12 volt space in the tpms or not, instead of straight to the battery. Also, if I need a diode in the wire that is tapped into the stock reverse light and runs to the switch. I didn't want to deconstruct the rigid harness but something seems off to me.
Question for you first, because you may be right. Is the switch you got with the kit a cut out (just to turn the lights off if you don't need them, will just be on and off) or a dual use switch (you can turn the lights on while not in reverse for setting up camp, etc., will be on/off/on)?
Old 10-26-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

3 position, on/off/on when in reverse
Old 10-26-2014, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by headrock
3 position, on/off/on when in reverse

The diagram picture is hard to make out but from what I see it looks as if missing the "Aux" circuit. The power wire with the fuse and lug that goes to the battery should be your supply for the lights. The wire that is labeled to tap into your reverse circuit is to trigger the relay when you shift to reverse. There should also be a wire for an "Aux" power source going to the switch as well, that would be used to trigger the relay while not in reverse. Now I don't know if there is additional instructions with this or not or how the harness is wired so this may work as it states. If not the wire that is labeled reverse lead I would take to a 12v source such as a fuse tap to an always hot circuit (my preference as I'd use them for camping with the key out). Then tap your reverse circuit to this wire. If you have to do this then I'd wire in a diode to prevent power from back feeding the reverse circuit when you energize your lights with the Aux circuit.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good looking out. Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: This wiring harness seems off