Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring DRL to fuse box??????

Old 12-23-2020, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring DRL to fuse box??????

Hey guys! I’m trying to wire my daytime running lights to my fuse box using a circuit tap. I’m thinking the M7 20amp ACC fuse would be best. Anyone have any experience with the exact wiring details and position of the circuit tap with the correct load side and hot side positioning of the tap plug? Thanks guys.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

See if this has the info you want: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...source-191552/
It shows where there is switched power, and the M7 selectable switched/always hot sockets for the fuse tap.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-23-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

thanks, I'll take a look
Old 12-24-2020, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Are you saying you want to wire in DRL's to run or you have them and want to change where they are powered up and are you talking the Jeep headlights or add-ons?
The reason I ask is if you simply want DRLs I think you can program them in with software.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I assume he got LED hedlights with the Halo's for DRL - They require a circuit tap.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Are you saying you want to wire in DRL's to run or you have them and want to change where they are powered up and are you talking the Jeep headlights or add-ons?
The reason I ask is if you simply want DRLs I think you can program them in with software.
So I replaced the crappy stock lights with LED’s that have a wire to run DRL. How can I find the appropriate circuit to tap in the box. I want the light to be on when key is in the ignition.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgomes
How can I find the appropriate circuit to tap in the box. I want the light to be on when key is in the ignition.
The link I posted above has four options for switched power in the fuse box.
Are you looking for something different?
Old 12-26-2020, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The link I posted above has four options for switched power in the fuse box.
Are you looking for something different?
my fuse box looks like this. Can I use the empty slots.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Jgomes - simply place a multimeter on those pins on the TIPM with the key on and look for one that goes dead when the key is turned off. Make sure you put a fuse in the line. Too much hassle to get the right pin for the corresponding available plug beneath the TIPM. Only problem here is you will have to carve a small slot on the TIPM lid to bring the wire out. Slot needed so that you can open it or you could drill through and leave slack on the inside to allow this and seal the wire in hole with silicon. Use a female spade terminal to connect to the terminal you identify as the one to use.
One sure way is to wire from the key switched cigarette power outlet on the dash with an in-line fuse so with key off the lights are off. Plug in something to see which plug is switched as I can't tell you which is which.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 01-03-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Jgomes - simply place a multimeter on those pins on the TIPM with the key on and look for one that goes dead when the key is turned off. Make sure you put a fuse in the line. Too much hassle to get the right pin for the corresponding available plug beneath the TIPM. Only problem here is you will have to carve a small slot on the TIPM lid to bring the wire out. Slot needed so that you can open it or you could drill through and leave slack on the inside to allow this and seal the wire in hole with silicon. Use a female spade terminal to connect to the terminal you identify as the one to use.
One sure way is to wire from the key switched cigarette power outlet on the dash with an in-line fuse so with key off the lights are off. Plug in something to see which plug is switched as I can't tell you which is which.
thanks for input. I have one of those “screw driver “ like testers with a short wire and alligator clip that lights up when current is detected. Can that be used instead of a multimeter?

Quick Reply: Wiring DRL to fuse box??????