Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Which wire?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which wire?

I am looking to tap into the power wire from the horn switch. Does anyone have the color and tracer for power to the horn from the horn switch?

I would like to tap into before it goes through the firewall to the engine bay.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 09GRNJK
I am looking to tap into the power wire from the horn switch. Does anyone have the color and tracer for power to the horn from the horn switch?

I would like to tap into before it goes through the firewall to the engine bay.
I don't think that this is a good idea. That wire will have a communication signal on it. Not 12 volts.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
I don't think that this is a good idea. That wire will have a communication signal on it. Not 12 volts.
Having looked at the wiring diagram, I can verify that.

You can find 12 volts for the horn where it comes out of the TIPM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Having looked at the wiring diagram, I can verify that.

You can find 12 volts for the horn where it comes out of the TIPM.
If I use this route, will power be fed when the horn switch is activated?

Essentially, I am installing an aftermarket air horn. I would like to use the stock horn switch to activate the air valve for the horns.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would mount everything, then just make some jumpers. Disconnect the wires from the stock horn and connect them to the air horn using the long jumpers you make. Then just press the horn like you would normally. If it works, it's a go. If not, switch them. the re try.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Serg5000
I would mount everything, then just make some jumpers. Disconnect the wires from the stock horn and connect them to the air horn using the long jumpers you make. Then just press the horn like you would normally. If it works, it's a go. If not, switch them. the re try.
Although I'm pretty sure this would work. I'm looking to still be able to use the stock horn.

I would use a single throw toggle in between the air valve and the horn switch. When power is shunted, the air valve will not engage and the stock horn will. When power is sent through, the air valve is activated along with the stock horn
Old 01-27-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 09GRNJK
Although I'm pretty sure this would work. I'm looking to still be able to use the stock horn.

I would use a single throw toggle in between the air valve and the horn switch. When power is shunted, the air valve will not engage and the stock horn will. When power is sent through, the air valve is activated along with the stock horn
Yes you can still do this. But just like Serg5000 said, you will need to tap the 12 volt + wire at the OEM horn. Bring that wire back into the cab to a switch. Then back from the switch to the new horn. Turning on the switch would then give you two horns.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Yes you can still do this. But just like Serg5000 said, you will need to tap the 12 volt + wire at the OEM horn. Bring that wire back into the cab to a switch. Then back from the switch to the new horn. Turning on the switch would then give you two horns.
Oh, well when you put it that way... It makes sense.

Thanks a bunch everyone.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default horn wiring

Yeah, but when you want to use the air horn, will you have time to flip a switch too?

I have an idea a little ways down on my 'to do' list: get an air horn, and trigger the air horn relay, through a second relay, which feeds a signal from the regular horn, and is triggered by the brake lights. Thus, you normally get just the regular horn, UNLESS you are on the brakes and hit the horn at the same time - then you get BOTH horns!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

If I were going to do a horn up-grade. I would trash the OEM horn. And just use the up-grade.

Quick Reply: Which wire?