Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Windshield lights - Show me what you got

Old 11-01-2008, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kntr
How do the 240s compare to the 170s? Im running 5 of the 170s.

The 240's are about 3" bigger around and about twice as bright.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

I went with the KC 130w 6" LR Slims; I did the install about a month ago.
I wanted the up-and-in look, but wasn't sure if the KC brackets had foam gaskets to protect the paint, so I went with the Rugged-Ridge ones.

Firewall:

I popped off the dash side panel on the driver side, poked a coat-hanger through the foam insulation, and pulled the wires through.
I put my switch above the driver-side speaker, like most people in this thread have been doing. I ran the wires [under the hood] through flexible plastic conduit which I bought at my local hardware store (to keep the wires clean and the look stock).

To run the wires to the brackets, I removed the panel that covers with wiper motor. I haven't seen any other pictures of this posted, and it may not be necessary to remove this panel if you just want to snake the wires under it without using conduit.

RR Brackets:

Lights:

Why so serious?

I don't have any other action shots, because it's not exactly easy to take pictures while navigating trails in the dark (while steering and shifting); but I'm happy with the power of these lights, and there's no glare on the hood. If someone has a request for more pictures to aid their install, you can PM me, and I'll see what I can do.

I also bought a shorty antenna (8"), because if the stock antenna gets knocked around by brush, it rubs on the lights and makes some rather annoying clanging sounds.

Now I think I'm going to get some LightForce 170s for my front bumper.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

I received the KC Slimlites and KC brackets. The covers that came with the lights have the large KC logo on them instead of the smaller KC. I kind of wish the smaller version was included. Anyone know if the smaller KC version is still available. The large more scripty sytle draws too much attention.

I also found no gaskets for the brackets. I ended up making a template and cutting gaskets out of a piece of rubber roofing material.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kflash
I received the KC Slimlites and KC brackets. The covers that came with the lights have the large KC logo on them instead of the smaller KC. I kind of wish the smaller version was included. Anyone know if the smaller KC version is still available. The large more scripty sytle draws too much attention.
When I ordered mine from Quadratec, the pictures showed the smaller lettering, so when they arrived with the large lettering (different from what I was shown) I wasn't pleased, and considered sending them back. However, after the initial shock, I like them very much. You could spray the lettering black (would take all of 5 minutes).

It looks like NorthRidge sells the old covers, but I don't know if you can trust the pictures:
http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...p?prod=KC-7210
Old 12-07-2008, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKrazed
Lightforce 240's 170s' & 140's, also a 140 as rear backup light.

These things are bright!!

I know it's perspective, but they look almost the same size as your STEERING WHEEL!
Old 12-07-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepnoob
I've got the same setup. Here are pics:

Here's the hole I used to get past the firewall...simply poke through the aluminum foil looking hole...I used a skewer, taped the wires to the end and poked it through.

This is the drivers side panel taken off. Just pulled from the top and out it came.

The switch looks factory! I placed it farther left to leave room to the right for more switches in case I install some KC's on my bumper.
[/QUOTE]
I have the exact same setup....even same switch location! I love mine.

Lets see about the OP's questions:
1. Pics can come tomorrow, but its the same as jeepnoob.
2. Using Rugged Rudge light mounts (i like them cause they are pretty solid and come with a nice foam backing.....no paint scratching)
3. KC 6" slimine (black) 130watt
4. Mounted switch same as jeepnoob.

I was pleasantly surprised as there is very little glare off the hood, not saying i cant clearly see the hood with them on, but very comfortable to drive with.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Junkie

Different covers will make them even better.

I like the combo covers myself.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

look at the smittybilt brackets they are way cheaper and sit low like the mopars.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jkrazed what are those gold looking lights and do they come in other colors?

Does anyone have an idea how I could get some lights like his only with a tint of green to match my green neon accents??

I thought of celephane but I thought it would melt.

Red
Old 12-09-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you must run a tanning salon infront of your jeep, right?
where would those ever be needed? and how much do they weigh?

Quick Reply: Windshield lights - Show me what you got