Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Windshield Lights, Fog or Driving ?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Lights, Fog or Driving ?

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but I want to mount 2 lights on the windshied (like KC Slimlites style) on a 2012 JKU. Can you guys put FOG lights there or is that spot only good for DRIVING lights? I only need them for fog lights. Just didn't know if fog lights are useless there or inneffective, etc.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Fog lights have no throw distance to their light pattern. They put out a lot of light to the side and provide a lot of foreground illumination. The optimal mounting place for them is between your headlights and the ground. Putting them on the windshield will still provide light out to the side of the vehicle, but the foreground illumination will either end up on your hood or go out into enpty space for about 400 feet in fromt of your Jeep.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

I'm currently running spots on my windshield, as other have stated you don't really want to be running fogs since they're designed to be used at a lower distance. You could always go with floods too.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by fadeout
I'm currently running spots on my windshield, as other have stated you don't really want to be running fogs since they're designed to be used at a lower distance. You could always go with floods too.
what is the difference between fog and floods?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Fogs have a very narrow but wide beam that is designed to be aimed at the ground or at a lower level.
Floods have a broad beam/round pattern that spans evenly in all directions (think work light).
Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Fogs have a very narrow but wide beam that is designed to be aimed at the ground or at a lower level.
Floods have a broad beam/round pattern that spans evenly in all directions (think work light).
gotcha.. so from narrowest to broadest it would be fog, driving, flood?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Junkie

the beam that is skinny from top to bottom but wide left to right...if that makes sense.

Ramsey? you're like down the road from me, I live in Wood Ridge.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Super Freak

the beam that is skinny from top to bottom but wide left to right...if that makes sense.

Ramsey? you're like down the road from me, I live in Wood Ridge.
i apologize if i am borderline hijacking i understand fogs pretty well but between the spot, driving, and flood what are the differences. i assume spot is narrow and round, driving is a little winder and flood is just everywhere? so if one was to do lights, what would go on windshield brackets and what would go on the bumper to create most effective seasonal driving? snow, fog, rain... and if someone wanted to do HID's, what colors would be most productive?
Wood Ridge, huh? not too far at all, neighbor just promise me you won't come to Ramsey Jeep under any circumstances. I'm awaiting my JKUR's arrival at rt 46 Jeep. I lived in Lyndhurst for a year too so that was even closer lol
Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by notsoricer
i apologize if i am borderline hijacking i understand fogs pretty well but between the spot, driving, and flood what are the differences. i assume spot is narrow and round, driving is a little winder and flood is just everywhere? so if one was to do lights, what would go on windshield brackets and what would go on the bumper to create most effective seasonal driving? snow, fog, rain... and if someone wanted to do HID's, what colors would be most productive?
Wood Ridge, huh? not too far at all, neighbor just promise me you won't come to Ramsey Jeep under any circumstances. I'm awaiting my JKUR's arrival at rt 46 Jeep. I lived in Lyndhurst for a year too so that was even closer lol
spot or pencil beam is a narrow concentrated beam of light designed to be aimed in a certain area, flood and driving beams are very close the main difference is the driving housing usually has a cut off for the beam so that it doesn't shoot blindly into oncoming traffic (like are headlights do) Best way to do it would be fogs down low, spots or floods on windshields. If you add more lights then floods up high and spots on windshields. And I only buy parts from Jeep 46 I hate their service and ramsey Jeep weeeelllll I'm not even going to go there. I actually take mine all the way out to Dover or Warnok.

I run HID spots down on my bumper 6000K (very close to natural white)
IPF headlights with ultrawhite bulbs for driving, same bulbs in my fogs
Spots on the windshields but am swapping out to floods next week
and 5 floods on my roof for an abundance of light when off road.

And to the OP I'm really sorry for hijacking this thread.

Last edited by fadeout; 11-02-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Windshield Lights, Fog or Driving ?