Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Winching- is the stock electrical system enough?

Old 12-15-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winching- is the stock electrical system enough?

I have a 2011 4 door Rubi and a Warn 9500cti that I will be putting on the front bumper. I am wondering, will my stock alternator and battery be sufficient to run the winch? I don't anticipate any HUGE EPIC winchfests or any thing like that, just regular stucks or maybe a tug over a rock obstacle, short duration stuff is all I really anticipate. I just want to know if my stock system can handle the winch or do i need to upgrade? Thanks!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes. You will eventually want to look at a deep cycle battery though. Also programmers like superchips will allow you to set the idle up to help with battery charging while crawling or winching
Old 12-15-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKJKUR
I have a 2011 4 door Rubi and a Warn 9500cti that I will be putting on the front bumper. I am wondering, will my stock alternator and battery be sufficient to run the winch? I don't anticipate any HUGE EPIC winchfests or any thing like that, just regular stucks or maybe a tug over a rock obstacle, short duration stuff is all I really anticipate. I just want to know if my stock system can handle the winch or do i need to upgrade? Thanks!!!

Your stock system will be fin IF: You only have short duration pulls. AND: You give the battery plenty of time to recover after each pull. Any upgrades to this system woulld be benificial to certain degrees.

Quick Reply: Winching- is the stock electrical system enough?