Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Winch wiring question

Old 06-11-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your winch at full draw is 482 amps, your going to need a fuse to handle that load+. If your worried about shorts I would just use the solenoid so you can control power to the winch. Otherwise per Warn instructions go straight to the battery. Since your cable is short I would use the solenoid like others have said.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
your winch at full draw is 482 amps, your going to need a fuse to handle that load+. If your worried about shorts I would just use the solenoid so you can control power to the winch. Otherwise per Warn instructions go straight to the battery. Since your cable is short I would use the solenoid like others have said.

Just so I'm clear, electrical isn't my strong point, the disconnect unit somebody already posted is a solenoid, correct?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjeeper
Just so I'm clear, electrical isn't my strong point, the disconnect unit somebody already posted is a solenoid, correct?
If you're talking about the Warn power interrupt then yes, it is a solenoid.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 14Sport
If you're talking about the Warn power interrupt then yes, it is a solenoid.
Yes.. I was. Thank you. One more question. Bought the winch used n the positive lead has wire loom on it but the negative does not. Should they both have it or is it just more important on the positive one? Thanks again for all the input...
Old 06-11-2015, 10:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
What is the current rating for that solenoid? I Googled that and found nothing but complaints from folks who'd like the answer to that seemingly reasonable question. Note that Warn does not specifically say that it is for winches. They describe it as for "aftermarket accessories". I know with a 500 amp (not that higher can't be found) fuse what will happen should I exceed rated current draw: Someone will stay stuck a little longer. I'm not so sure what will happen with that solenoid should I exceed rated current draw. Most likely the contacts will weld together and it will no longer turn off. No big deal. But, if there's a short down line, yeah, big deal. I like the idea of a fuse, regardless of whether there's a solenoid in line or not.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

I have no idea what it is rated either. I couldn't find that answer. I just took a leap of faith that it is a Warn and should work. I haven't had to use my winch. I did spool it out about 20' to test it after install and it worked fine. I only get to wheel once a year on vacation and I haven't got myself into a situation where I needed it yet, so I guess the jury is still out on how good it is. If I used my winch a lot I would fuse it. It's better to err on the side of safety than not. But the way it is wired from the battery to the solenoid is so low risk it isn't worth it to me.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ctjeeper
Yes.. I was. Thank you. One more question. Bought the winch used n the positive lead has wire loom on it but the negative does not. Should they both have it or is it just more important on the positive one? Thanks again for all the input...
Power wire shorting to ground is no bueno. Ground wire shorting the ground isn't as bad. That said, covered both of mine.

Last edited by 14Sport; 06-11-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

OK while there was a little back n forth on this thread, and all good points BTW, I think I'm gonna go with a fuse. Oh and I'm gonna loom that negative lead just in case...lol. Thanks everyone for your input!!

Quick Reply: Winch wiring question