Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Winch Install: Battery or winch issue?

Old 12-29-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Deere_Jeep
Thanks for the advice. I know I'm good on the battery side, double checked that. I'm wondering if i messed up the winch side. I recall there being

nut, lock nut, washer, wire. I put on it this order. I'm wondering if I should have done. nut, lock nut, wire, washer (Against stud). Would you really need a washer on the stud side of the winch to help conduct electricity?
Electrically speaking, Probably fine. Mechanically speaking, No. There is room for improving both. For electrical connections, it's best to use the "spider" lock washers vs. the "split c" lock washers. The spider washers will actualy cut into the surface creating a better electrical connection. I would use one on both sides of the ring terminal. Mechanically, I would think that the top nut should be used as a "jamnut" against the bottom nut. So here is my suggestion ( from bottom up ) spider washer, ring terminal, spider washer, sholder nut, jamnut. Just my $0.02
Old 12-29-2011, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2008 did about the same thing with my Rugged Ridge 8500 winch and factory battery. I was able to spool the winch up with no load but only 5 feet at a time and my wife had to keep the Jeep at 2,000 RPMs.

I put a new 800 amp battery in and it now works like a charm. You are just trying to draw too many amps more than the battery can handle. The factory batteries are rated at 600 amps new and probably are putting out a lot less when they are a few years old. My winch requires 650.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock battery died without warning.. Leaving work one day she didn't even crank over.. Replace that stock battery and it'll be good to go.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headed to Sears today. Going to look at getting the Diehard platinum4 I've been reading about.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deere_Jeep
Headed to Sears today. Going to look at getting the Diehard platinum4 I've been reading about.
There you go!!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing 880 CCA did not fix. Spooled everything back in without an issue at all. I do also think that maybe I did not have the best connections on the winch side. Thanks for the help and sure hope this helps others.

Quick Reply: Winch Install: Battery or winch issue?