Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Will these fit a stock base system?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by countrydude1992
I haven't added one yet. The amp and speakers I added (along with polyfill in the enclosures) added more bass than the stock sub has

I've read good reviews about the kicker hideaway but it's not what I wanted for my specific application.

And If all you do is add new speakers, the sound bar still isn't going to put out any more volume. (Did you try the front-to-back thing I mentioned)

Yeah. You can total hear the volume drop off as you shift the fade to the rear. It doesn't make sense to me, in any other vehicle I have ever owned fading to the rear would boost the power/volume to those speakers. I will be saving up for an amp or the Kicker Hideaway Subwoofer. Thanks for all the information.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely go new amp and speakers before I did a sub.

The amp I used is the Kicker ZXM350.4 that can be found on amazon for $140
It has since been discontinued but I love it.
If you're not worried about water, you can get a good non-marine 4 channel amp for cheaper.

The speakers I got were all Kicker DS 6.5 speakers. I got the Component set for up front that comes with new tweeters ($70) and the coax for the rear ($40)

I also ran new wiring and everything because the stock wiring didn't do me any good because my amp is located in the cubby in the back (it's a perfect fit and completely out of the way)
Old 01-14-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

"fit" and "direct replacement" are two very different things.

They will "fit" in the stock locations but adapter rings will be needed (the front, maybe. the sound bar, definitely"

What Mattk11 said, however, is not true for the base system at least. The non-infinity system does not have an amp and the head unit puts out a 4ohm signal.

There will for sure be a noticeable difference, but don't expect much. They won't get louder than now, but there will be a tiny bit more bass. Be sure to stuff the enclosures with polyfill when you're doing this. It is too cheap to pass on.

There will also be ether wire adapters needed, or some snipping/crimping involved.

Personally, if you're looking for a very simple, cheap speaker upgrade, I would get a set of the Boston Acoustics mopar replacements (model 5081670AB) that can be had for under $30 each, or the Kicker replacements (77KICK10) that can be found for about $75 per pair. These are all direct plug and play speakers. same connectors so no wire cutting or adapters to buy. same mounting size and speaker ring built in so non of those to buy. You come out being near the same price for a much easier, better quality option.

To finish, replacing the rear speakers still won't do much good. The factory head unit almost completely cuts the power to these (turn your fade from front to back and you'll hear it.)

The only way to fix this is either a new head unit or a new amp (or both)
Just picked up 4 mopar replacement (model 5081670AB) speakers for under $60 on Ebay! I will throw those in and add an amp and sup when I can. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRD725
Just picked up 4 mopar replacement (model 5081670AB) speakers for under $60 on Ebay! I will throw those in and add an amp and sup when I can. Thanks for the help guys!
Is this the Boston Acoustics set?
Old 01-15-2014, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is this the Boston Acoustics set?
I'm lead to believe so, they have the same model number, and were listed as Mopar upgrade replacement speakers. Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	523928

Quick Reply: Will these fit a stock base system?