Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Why headlights turn on when unlocking vehicle?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why headlights turn on when unlocking vehicle?

That's right baby. They ? Me. Ah well I will have another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way to stop the headlights coming on when unlocking the vehicle is to got to the dealer and get them to use the starscan computer and set the headlight delay to "0". The "flash on unlock" which you can change by using the steps in the manual only stops the indicators from flashing which is not what the original post was wanting.

I got the dealer to set the delay to "0" the other day and it no longer comes on.

Hope this helps

Dom
Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by scotlandjk
The only way to stop the headlights coming on when unlocking the vehicle is to got to the dealer and get them to use the starscan computer and set the headlight delay to "0". The "flash on unlock" which you can change by using the steps in the manual only stops the indicators from flashing which is not what the original post was wanting.

I got the dealer to set the delay to "0" the other day and it no longer comes on.

Hope this helps

Dom
Yes, it helps.

I don't know why people keep posting how to turn off other features, when the OP asked about how to prevent the headlights from turning on when the doors are unlocked.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scotlandjk

Hope this helps

Dom
x2 ,4ways flash but head lights stay off.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a dealer do this within a week of buying my Jeep. They charged me something like $40 (I didn't buy the Jeep there-- I bought it used) and anyway it was WELL worth it. I think they said it was called "illuminated entry" in the StarScan.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
...I don't know why people keep posting how to turn off other features, when the OP asked about how to prevent the headlights from turning on when the doors are unlocked...
x2

You need to go to the dealer and have them set the delay to zero.

They need to do ONE of the following:

1. StarScan main Menu-Customer Preferences-Illuminated Entry Time-0,30,60,90-choose 0

2. StarScan Home-Vehicle Preparation-Illuminated Entry Time-0,30,60,90-choose 0

3. Using a WiTech tool, the setting is found under TIPM -> Misc -> Illuminate Entry Value (set it to 0)
Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, it helps.

I don't know why people keep posting how to turn off other features, when the OP asked about how to prevent the headlights from turning on when the doors are unlocked.
Thanks that helps. (I agree as I started this post)

It just seemed odd to me that even when I put the key into the ignition and turn to the first position (run position not start), my other cars with these feature turn off the headlights. This still allows having the lights on for entry.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

Yes, it helps.

it never hurts to have extra knowledge about your JK
Old 09-08-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

This should help you.
It was posted before some where.

JK Wrangler Power Locks Tweaks

There seem to be many combinations of the power lock operation in the new JK. Some of these procedures are under debate and some you may need to try a few times to get it right. Use at your own risk.
Set the locks to auto-lock at 15 mph and auto unlock all when either front door is opened.
Get in the Jeep, insert the key. Cycle the key from insertion position to "on" position 5 times, upon completing the 5th cycle make sure the key ends in the "on" position, press the unlock switch up twice.
Set the locks to auto-lock at 15 mph with NO auto unlock all when either front door is opened.
Get in the Jeep, insert the key. Cycle the key from insertion position to "on" position 5 times, upon completing the 5th cycle make sure the key ends in the "on" position, press the unlock switch up once.

Stop the "HONK" when you lock the doors using the fob.
Press and hold the Lock button on the fob for at least 5 seconds, while still holding the lock button press the Panic button and release both. Test operation.
Unlock all the doors with one press of the unlock on the fob.
Press and hold the Lock button on the fob for at least 5 seconds but no more than 10. While still holding the Lock button press and hold the Unlock button. Release both and test.
Turn off the lights flash when locking
Press the unlock button on the fob for 4 to 10 seconds. While still holding the unlock button press and hold the lock button. Release both and test.
Notes on the security system
-Locking the Jeep with the fob always activates the security system.
-Unlocking the door with the key in the lock tumbler and opening the door will set off the alarm. It is disarmed by inserting the key into the ignition.
-To lock the Jeep without activating the alarm, lock all the doors within the Jeep, exit the Jeep, this will unlock the exit door. Lock the door using the lock tumbler.

heres your seat belt solution! if i remember correctly these instructions are in the owners manual. But then again who reads that thing anyways?

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be enabled
or disabled by your authorized dealer or by
following these steps:

NOTE: The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON or START position. The manufacturer does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert).

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and buckle the driver or front passenger seat belt.

2. Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY/RUN position (engine does not need to be running), and wait for the Seat Belt Warning Light to turn off.

3. Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver or front passenger seat belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat belt buckled.

4. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.
The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.

NOTE: Although the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driver’s seat belt remains unfastened.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Nope. Nothing in your post will help with the OP's question.

But thanks for the list of tweaks. Nice to have them consolidated.

Quick Reply: Why headlights turn on when unlocking vehicle?