Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Why headlights turn on when unlocking vehicle?

Old 08-14-2010, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why headlights turn on when unlocking vehicle?

Seems kinda stupid to me to have the headlights on after you unlock your vehicle and hop in and start it up. Doesn't having the headlights on while starting cause more draw from the battery and if you have a marginal battery you might not have enough juice to start?

Has anyone disabled the headlights at start up? If so, what needs done?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 08-14-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scramblin_Jim
Seems kinda stupid to me to have the headlights on after you unlock your vehicle and hop in and start it up. Doesn't having the headlights on while starting cause more draw from the battery and if you have a marginal battery you might not have enough juice to start?

Thanks,
Jim
I don't know the exact sequence but it can be done. It is in the manual, you can shut off the lights and horn on arm and disarm. I'm sure someone will post up. I'm not near it now but will post if no one else does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Why headlights turn on when unlocking vehicle?

It's a safety feature, so people can see who's in and around the vehicle. The lights on my Chevy or my Nissan don't come during the day

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

just one of them things
Old 08-14-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Scramblin_Jim

Thanks,
Jim

Originally Posted by nickynorthface
I don't know the exact sequence but it can be done. It is in the manual, you can shut off the lights and horn on arm and disarm. I'm sure someone will post up. I'm not near it now but will post if no one else does.

You may have misunderstood what was asked. (Or maybe I misunderstood.)

There is no procedure in the manual to prevent the headlights from turning on when the vehicle is unlocked with the remote transmitter.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct, the procedure eliminates the horn, but not the lights.

A side effect of my HID conversion with the canbus modules was eliminating the unlock lights. They really annoyed me, also.

Otherwise, I don't know of a way to disable it. Maybe one of the programmers does?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's in the manual. Page 16.

Press and hold unlock button for at least 4 seconds but no longer than 10 seconds. Then press and hold the lock button while still holding the unlock button. Release both buttons at the same time. Disable or enable flashing lights with lock.

To turn horn off or on with lock hold unlock button for 4 seconds but no longer than 10. Press and hold lock button while still holding unlock button.

Haven't tried it yet. Mines an '10.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Of course I have been drinking for the last 4 hours so my judgement is questionable at this point.

But have the manual in front of me. Two options, disable flashing lights and disable horn. Chigity check it out. Page 16. 2010 Manual. Good luck. Over and out.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For those with a 2009 the procedure is on page 22. I turned mine off a few days after I got the jeep. Here's the steps for anyone who doesn't have access to the manual..........

To Turn Off “Flash Lights With Lock”

NOTE: The “Flash Lights With Lock” feature can be turned on or off using the following steps:

1. Press the UNLOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds.

2. While the UNLOCK button is pressed, (after four seconds) press the LOCK button. Release both buttons.

3. Test the “Flash Lights With Lock” feature outside of the vehicle, by pressing the LOCK button with the ignition in the LOCK position, and the key removed.

NOTE: Pressing the LOCK button, while you are in the vehicle, will activate the Vehicle Security Alarm. Opening a door with the Vehicle Security Alarm System activated
will cause the alarm to sound. Press the UNLOCK button to deactivate the Vehicle Security Alarm.

The “Flash Lights With Lock” feature can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then the '10 is different, because mine doesn't have that, '08. It's good to know they're constantly improving

Quick Reply: Why headlights turn on when unlocking vehicle?