Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Why does my cobra cb radio reset my dash lights and trigger the washer blades and kil

Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my cobra cb radio reset my dash lights and trigger the washer blades and kil

As the subject says. I have a cobra wx st 75 and when I key the mic it resets the dash lights, resets my stereo and the washer blades move. Luckily it does not turn the jeep off. Regardless it's very annoying and I'm trying to figure out why it's doing this.

A few things I've done so far. I purchased a brand new coax cable, the older one was broken. I had a tab welded on my tire carrier and grounded the tab to the body and that did not fix it. There is a local guy in az that makes a custom jk antenna mount called Arizona rocky mount. It mounts to the tailgate and keeps the antenna fairly high above the roof of the jeep and above the tire. Even with the new mount and having proper grounding it still resets the electrical.

The radio box is mounted under the glove box. The power and ground run up the passenger side of the jeep and thru the small Grommet that leads to the engine bay and comes out right near the battery. I have it running directly to the positive and directly to the negative.

The antenna is tuned to a swr of 1.2 in both channels 1 & 40. When it works it works amazing and transmits awesome.

Here is a video of what's happening. Has anyone else run into this same problem? I have tried a second new coax cable and same results. If I disconnect the coax cable from the radio or the antenna the problem will not happen. So it only seems to do it when the coax is connected. I've also tried a different antenna and stuff as well. I've also tried a different hand held radio. The only thing I have not tried is a different cb jumper box.

http://youtu.be/G8S5AU1TEdM Anyway here are some photos of the new antenna mount.

If anyone has something for me to try please let me know. Should I route the positive and negative of the CB a different way into the engine bay? Could the power the CB transmits be tripping some relays or something?

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

It looks like RF interference to me. What year is ur jeep and how do have the coax ran in the jeep? Also where did u get the coax from? I have seen something like this one other time but it just turn on the blower motor for the ac every time the mic was key up.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix311
... I've also tried a different hand held radio. ...
And what happened?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rbzak
It looks like RF interference to me. What year is ur jeep and how do have the coax ran in the jeep? Also where did u get the coax from? I have seen something like this one other time but it just turn on the blower motor for the ac every time the mic was key up.
Its a 2008. I have 2 Jeeps both with the same setup. The coax cable is brand new and I pulled the coax cable from my other jeep and same results. The coax is ran down the passenger side of the jeep to the junction box which is located below the glove box. There is a little panel that pulls off and it's sitting in there. The coax cable was purchased from the CB section at loves truck stop. My other coax cable is a firestik cable and same results.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
And what happened?
No change, same results with either cb.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its a 2008. I have 2 Jeeps both with the same setup. The coax cable is brand new and I pulled the coax cable from my other jeep and same results. The coax is ran down the passenger side of the jeep to the junction box which is located below the glove box. There is a little panel that pulls off and it's sitting in there. The coax cable was purchased from the CB section at loves truck stop. My other coax cable is a firestik cable and same results.

I had mine in the same way u had urs at one time with problems like that. I'm not what is going on here. It may be the junction box is bad.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

U might want to try to move everything to driver side to see if that helps. Junction box and coax.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Might also try multiple wraps around a mix 31 or 43 ferrite to choke the coax RF. You're getting what's called "common mode" interference from your coax to other wiring in the vehicle.

Also, it appears this is a duplicate thread so mods should merge them.

Edit: nevermind. Looks like it's just a very similar thread. Both should be in the CB/Ham section though.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...hts-go-288695/

Last edited by arjeeper; 06-03-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Might also try multiple wraps around a mix 31 or 43 ferrite to choke the coax RF. You're getting what's called "common mode" interference from your coax to other wiring in the vehicle.

Also, it appears this is a duplicate thread so mods should merge them.

Edit: nevermind. Looks like it's just a very similar thread. Both should be in the CB/Ham section though.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...hts-go-288695/
Might as well be put together they r both have the same problems. That way there will be two birds killed with one stone.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No change, same results with either cb. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Are you running the handheld through the same coax and antenna or just using the built-in antenna on the handheld?

Quick Reply: Why does my cobra cb radio reset my dash lights and trigger the washer blades and kil