Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Why do I need a harness for an aftermarket stereo?

Old 12-16-2007, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiconOrdie
130 is a lot, I never paid that much, companies are raking in the money off of us JK owners. It will work just great if you splice it, the stereo should come with a basic harness that isn't specific for any vehicle. It will plug into the back and have marked wires for each function. I don't really know what each wire on the JK side does, I know someone on this forum does.
It is not just Jeep owners its all 08 model cars and trucks. I was goin to put an after market stereo in my JK but its on hold now due to the 150.00 harness to install it.Thanks to the CANBUS this will affect all 08 models vehicles.If youre smart you want try to splice in the harness to get an after market stereo to work because wires goin to the radio also helps function other electrical parts such as turn signals,etc.,according to dealership and where i was goin to have my stereo installed also verified it.DO NOT SPLICE INTO THE FACTORY HARNESS DELAERSHIP SAID WARRANTY WOULD BE VOIDED.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default infinity system use speaker mounted amps?

Related to the splicing issue is the question of speaker mounted amplifiers. Does the infinity sound system on the JK incorporate speaker mounted amplifiers? How would that affect the decision to splice vs buy an adapter harness?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Really?

Originally Posted by Stanley08JK
It is not just Jeep owners its all 08 model cars and trucks. I was goin to put an after market stereo in my JK but its on hold now due to the 150.00 harness to install it.Thanks to the CANBUS this will affect all 08 models vehicles.If youre smart you want try to splice in the harness to get an after market stereo to work because wires goin to the radio also helps function other electrical parts such as turn signals,etc.,according to dealership and where i was goin to have my stereo installed also verified it.DO NOT SPLICE INTO THE FACTORY HARNESS DELAERSHIP SAID WARRANTY WOULD BE VOIDED.
Sounds like it. I'm not too familiar with all the 08 requirements but it seems like a pain. What are ya going to do, though? Pay the extra money and keep on trucking....when I was younger I would of spliced but now I'm lazy and will pay a little extra to make it easier.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stanley08JK
that's B.S.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pitcoken
Related to the splicing issue is the question of speaker mounted amplifiers. Does the infinity sound system on the JK incorporate speaker mounted amplifiers? How would that affect the decision to splice vs buy an adapter harness?
The infinity system has an external amplifier powering all speakers located underneath the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Why do I need a harness for an aftermarket stereo?