Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Why do I need a harness for an aftermarket stereo?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why do I need a harness for an aftermarket stereo?

Ok guys, why do I need a harness for an aftermarket stereo? Does anyone know? I know the CANBUS runs around in there but if I just unplug the factory stereo and take it out, and install an aftermarket using a 12v constant, 12v switched, and ground... and run speaker wire, then what would stop working since the factory radio is gone?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:18 AM
JK Junkie

Only thing you'd really lose is the dimmer switch, which is no big deal. It's just easier for some of us to use the existing power and speaker wires than to run new lines.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I think I might try to use the existing wire too. The thing is the stock unit has the POWER, SWITCHED POWER, GROUND, and then the standard rear speaker wires. But then the front speaker wires seem to have more than needed, unless the tweeters have their own wires coming out of the radio. Those front speakers are wired differently than I'm use to.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience with every after-market head-unit I've added to vehicles you absolutely need the wiring harness. After-market unit's don't have wires coming out of the back of them, they have a plug that has wires attached, this is the harness. With out it, you won't have any wires to connect to anything else. Chance are good that the stock stereo has the same type of connector but it will not work on your new stereo.

If you're talking about the extra kit you can buy that plugs in between the factory wiring and the head-unit harness, it's best to use these so you don't have to hack the factory wiring. Why butcher the OEM stuff? If you decide to switch the unit out later you'll regret ever doing that, I guarentee it.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tackindy
Ok guys, why do I need a harness for an aftermarket stereo? Does anyone know? I know the CANBUS runs around in there but if I just unplug the factory stereo and take it out, and install an aftermarket using a 12v constant, 12v switched, and ground... and run speaker wire, then what would stop working since the factory radio is gone?
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I'll post it for the benefit of others. If you plan on using the existing vehicle wiring, a vehicle-specific harness makes for a much easier and cleaner install:

1) No cutting of any existing wiring. This makes returning the factory head unit to the vehicle when you go to sell it easy.

2) Able to do most of the wiring outside the vehicle. I prefer to connect the aftermarket stereo's harness and the vehicle-specific harness together at a workbench. This way I can solder the connections together and insulate them using heat shrink tubing which makes for a much cleaner and reliable install than trying to use crimp connectors and electrical tape while hunched over the center console. Also easier to tell the difference between green with white stripes and white with green stripes at the workbench.

3) In your specific case, it may be easier to pull the +12V-C, +12V-S, and ground from a vehicle-specific harness than splice into the existing wiring or run new wiring to the battery.

-Glen
Old 12-12-2007, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Harness

Mostly it's just convenience. You can always splice and it will work. A Harness are just a plug and play. I love em and they're worth the money, so easy and everything that is supposed to work works.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, usually Crutchfield sends a free harness to go directly into the factory plug. But now they say the best they can do is give me a discount on a $130 one due to the CANBUS setup.

I understand about the harness and convenience and all, but if its between spending $100 for a harness to put in with the aftermarket harness or just splice the aftermarket harness into the wires right behind the factory plug.... which do I do?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:29 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tackindy
Ok, usually Crutchfield sends a free harness to go directly into the factory plug. But now they say the best they can do is give me a discount on a $130 one due to the CANBUS setup.

I understand about the harness and convenience and all, but if its between spending $100 for a harness to put in with the aftermarket harness or just splice the aftermarket harness into the wires right behind the factory plug.... which do I do?
I would never splice into a factory harness. Like said before, you don't want to hack up the stock setup, because if you ever go to change headunits, it gets messy.

Now, I don't even think you can hack into the canbus harness. It's not as simple as most cars. In fact, you could potentially fry the whole car by trying to tap into the canbus harness.

The reason these harnesses are more expensive is because they have secondary modules which help make the stereo work. You can probably find the harness you need cheaper elsewhere online (I have the non-infinity system, and that harness ran me $40)

Your only option is to either cough up the cash.... or run new power lines directly.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 130

130 is a lot, I never paid that much, companies are raking in the money off of us JK owners. It will work just great if you splice it, the stereo should come with a basic harness that isn't specific for any vehicle. It will plug into the back and have marked wires for each function. I don't really know what each wire on the JK side does, I know someone on this forum does.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

if I was going to install an after market without a harness I'd run all new wires (pos., neg., remote. and speaker).

I did an install on a previous vehicle back in late 80's when the harnesses weren't readily available and hacked into the factory harness. It was horrible. there was limited wire length available and no real rhyme/reason to the color coding, and took about 4 times longer than it should have just trying to figure what was what.

Since then I've always used the aftermarket harness, but at $100+

just my $.02

Quick Reply: Why do I need a harness for an aftermarket stereo?