Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

why do fog lights go off when high beams are turned on?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:39 PM
mt3
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do fog lights go off when high beams are turned on?

why is that? ....

is there a mod to allow the fogs to stay on when the high beams are on too?

thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

i know in pennsylvania it is illegal to have your high beams and fogs on at the same time.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Simply put, because many places outlaw it, and because of that, Jeep made it that way. Most cars work that way.
Yes, there are mods, but they require wiring/relays/etc.

Most of all, because you don't want your eyes to focus up close when you're trying to look into the distance.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know On my 02' Ranger I just had to bend a prong on a fuse to keep the fogs on with the high beams. Don't know if it's the same. I drove it like that for five years and no hassles, but then maybe they weren't looking.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Its illegal in most states that won't let you marry your sister.

Also - Fog lights are aimed low, to undercut the fog/reduce glare....you are not supposed to use high beams in the fog...because of the glare.

So - they make it so the fogs have to be wired to the low beams, or the parking lights...as, if it IS foggy...you can't have the high's on anyway.

That said...we just splice a jumper from the battery to a dash switch, back to the fogs (Or driving lights...which have to go OFF with the LOW beams....the opposite of the Fogs, which have to go OFF with the HIGH beams....)

That way - for inspection, Daily Driver Duty....the fogs and driving lights go on/off automatically (You see an oncoming car, and turn off the high beams, and the driving lights also switch off, and the fogs come on, etc....)...or, for off road, etc...flip the jumper switch, and all your lights work right off the battery whether any of the head lights are on or not. (I recommend a Relay between the lights/switch though...)

Hope that helps.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone say you will fail inspection in most states if the fogs don't go out when the high beams are switched on? In NJ it will fail. So will just about anything else you do to your Jeep.

As explained above the high beams and fog lights serve 2 different purposes and shouldn't be used at the same time. There is definately a way to have them stay on, I've seen a few people ask. Sure would be nice if it were something as simple as bending a tab on a relay.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by davidwm71
Did anyone say you will fail inspection in most states if the fogs don't go out when the high beams are switched on? In NJ it will fail. So will just about anything else you do to your Jeep.

As explained above the high beams and fog lights serve 2 different purposes and shouldn't be used at the same time. There is definately a way to have them stay on, I've seen a few people ask. Sure would be nice if it were something as simple as bending a tab on a relay.

It can also result in a fine from the police.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

I think the Dealer's can reflash your ECU with the setting for "Euro" JK's, and not the standard N.America settings.

Looking into this when I get mine reflashed soon....
Old 10-15-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by fyerman69
I think the Dealer's can reflash your ECU with the setting for "Euro" JK's, and not the standard N.America settings.
Looking into this when I get mine reflashed soon....
Yes, they CAN, but they WON'T.
I tried to get them to turn on the DRL's, which could be done if I were moving to Canada. But, they said they were not able to download the data from corporate because my Jeep's VIN is associated with the US.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

You can also get around the laws and problems by wiring them to a toggle, like your off road lights. Just dont turn them on when your high beams are on when you get inspected.
I did this on my Grand Cherokee and my Harley and have no issues. Yes, i know you arent supposed to use highs in the fog, but when there is no fog, and youre driving down some podunk unlit road in East Texas, you can often use the extra lighting .

Quick Reply: why do fog lights go off when high beams are turned on?