Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Whirring noise while driving

Old 02-26-2021, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whirring noise while driving

Whirring noise through radio while driving

I bought a used 2012 JKUR a couple years ago. Im getting a humming or whirring noise with acceleration. It started right after I installed an ARB single compressor and Spod with some lights. If I let off the throttle and cruise it stops. If I barely mash the gas pedal it comes right back. Its what I consider fairly loud. I can hear it over the normal radio (so I blast it) wind, and off-road tires humming. I’ve heard this could be related to regearing which would not be the case with my car, gearing stock. I’ve heard possible causes are the fuse behind radio or alternator or starter. After noise had been there for a while I upgraded from OE to an Apple car play radio (U connect is crap) and installed a CB but the issue was there before the radio add. I had alternator and starter checked and they say it’s strong. I did run spod and compressor ground to battery along firewall and maybe that is cause? Should I ground spod to chassis? I did disconnect spod and compressor for a week and noise still there.

any input appreciated!

Last edited by JKUR-MW3; 02-26-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

Adding another ground would not hurt; however, you grounded direct to the battery. Where did you locate the ARB Compressor & SPOD.. Check all the mounting areas, look for engine torque movement creating a contact area. Just a guess.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Adding another ground would not hurt; however, you grounded direct to the battery. Where did you locate the ARB Compressor & SPOD.. Check all the mounting areas, look for engine torque movement creating a contact area. Just a guess.
Thanks for the comment Jay. The SPOD and Compressor are located on drivers side engine compartment. So all wires are run across firewall to passenger side where battery is. I was wondering if any chance that being be other wires could be possible cause.

Quick Reply: Whirring noise while driving