Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Whining noise!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise!

After installing a new hu, speakers, sub, and two amps I have a whining noise at low volume. What is it and how do I get rid of it. It does change tone when speeding up and slowing down. It is extremely aggravating! Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

All the grounds, or is there one in particular that could be the culprit?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have an answer? Or any other sugestions? Thanks for the help
Old 04-27-2009, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

if the whining noise you have is related to the speed of the engine, meaning when you rev the motor the pitch and intensity change then you need an inline filter. Please be sure to have the power as far from the input feeds into your head unit and amp but a high quality filter will help you the most if not completely eliminate the noise.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You've got yourself a grounding loop. The noise you're hearing is a ground in the electical system. When you rev the engine the alternator changes speeds and that's what causes the pitch to change.

Double check that your grounds are to BARE METAL. No paint, rubber, or other material should be between the ground and the wire. If that doesn't correct the issue you may have to look into getting something called a ground loop isolator. They should sell them at radio shack. It'll replace your existing RCA cables between the head unit and the amp.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok I checked the grounds on the amps, and there was paint on the metal. So I scrapped the paint off put it all back together, and ther is still a whine. So what next, do the amps need to be grounded together? Do the amps and head unit all need to be grounded together? Or what, I'm about ready to shoot it! lol
Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Default just some info

this is a problem with Dodge/Mopar and chevy. some vehicles have it really bad and some dont have it at all. it took me and my boy 5 hours to sourse out his. and he owns a stero shop in Tucson Az. the most common starting point is the Deck. move the ground on the deck to a better grounding point. that will make a huge differeance right there alone. THE KEY IS TO FIND A GOOD GROUNDING POINT. try a few different spots for the best spot.

good luck. it's a B!$ch of a time. it can be done howerver. just take your time and dont get frustrated.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Your question has been answered a ground loop isolater or a power line filter sometimes both will take the whine out

Quick Reply: Whining noise!