Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Where's your GPS mounted?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's your GPS mounted?

I'm on my 2nd Garmin Nuvi GPS and I've yet to find a place I was happy with it installed. Where do you have your similar systems installed?

When I got my first one I used the flat disc that has the double sided sticky tape and I removed the tape and used some 2 part epoxy to stick it to the pillar on the drivers side. I had the GPS positioned where it was right behind my inspection and registration stickers so it was pretty well hidden.. Problem was after a couple of months I would hit a bump in the road and that epoxy would give way..

Any tips tricks or pics?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I struggled with the same issue with my Garmin Colorado 400t. I glued the plastic disc to the plastic window pillar on the driver's side and used the suction cup mount. In less than a month the disc fell off. Since then, I have simply used the suction mount on the windshield. I really like that placement. It does not wiggle like the plastic pillar did, plus is is very easy to take off and lock up or take with you.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:18 AM
JK Junkie

To the right of the steering column, on the dash, right before the "center section" above the radio. Had it on the suction cup on the window, no issues. Love how the JKs glass is right in front of you, no need to reach 10 feet to touch the GPS like on some vehicles with a slanted glass. Now, with the cage, same position, except a little forward (dash tube that goes from side to side) on the glued disc on the dash. Bumps and wheelin', hasn't moved since November. Nuvi as well. CB speaker right next to it on the center section above the radio.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto on the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel field of view. Close to your right hand if you have your hand at the 2 o'clock position. Be sure to test mount it so the wheel doesn't block your full view of the screen. I have the Nuvi 255W (wide screen) and used the disc. Occasionally the suction is lost but not lately.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem, and I didn't like any of the mounting options so I bought a head unit that had a garmin (since it is the best) GPS built in. Sadly, that could have been my lift/tires. At least I'll know where I an stuck.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

The pic is where it was before...I had it hard wired behind that panel and was using the sticky disc, then the same thing happened and I moved it to the windshield. Plus it was a pain in the ass having it behind the shifter like that

Now I ran the hard wired wire up through the dash and it just comes up right behind the panel over the radio. The GPS itself is just on the windshield right there. The cool thing is that since its hardwired to a switched circuit, it turns on and off with the vehicle.

Heres the old pic
Old 02-06-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried doing it that low... but it kept taking my eyes off the road too much. I have mine here... (you can see the mount on the glass.)

Old 02-06-2010, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by xerofall
I tried doing it that low... but it kept taking my eyes off the road too much. I have mine here... (you can see the mount on the glass.)

Same here.
That position puts the GPS where it only blocks a portion of the top of the hood. It doesn't obstruct forward vision.

My GPS is only in the vehicle when it's needed.
I don't quite understand sporting a GPS full-time.

I also benefit from not living in a state notorious for making blanket laws, such as banning things on windshields and plasma televisions. (I don't think Texas is one, but the People's Republic of Cali.....)
Old 02-06-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Before I had my gig put in a couple of days ago I had my garmin nuvi on a mount to the right of the radio. If you take a look at my pics you will see the blackberry but i replaced it with a bracketron bracket and a proclip mount that has the ball on the end for the nav unit. Sorry I didn't take any pics but it is the best place to mount any nav or cell cuz the aux jack is right there and between the bracket and the device I was able to hide the wires to power up and connect the phone or the nav, either way my nav unit became my ipod when it was in use plus it was bluetooth so it became my handsfree while I was driving. Also witin arms reach, with no glare from the sun when the top was down either.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Mounted mine on dash. I hard wired the 12V so there aren't wires everywhere. The TOMTOM XL330S has auto power off when you turn the 12V supply off ... unfortunately there is no auto POWERON when the 12V comes on ... that would have been perfect.

Quick Reply: Where's your GPS mounted?