Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Where to Wire heated seats w/ remote start?

Old 01-04-2014, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bobholthaus, would you mind writing a write up, when you get a chance, on how you wired your seats and all to have power with the remote start? I am interested in doing the same eventually.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tclapp: most of the info you're looking for is in this thread. In a nutshell, and there's a thread somewhere (does anyone know how I can copy a thread link using the app on my iPad) on this forum about the accessory fuse boxes I've installed on an SPOD mount under the hood (one is constant power wired directly to the battery, and the other one is key switched and relay controlled, and during this thread, I moved the trigger wire for that relay/fuse box from the fuse it was on (which I got from another thread on the forum) to what appears to be fuse opening M14 (there was no fuse in the space, but it was wired so I plugged my fuse jumper in there and now it triggers the relay when I remote start using the factory remote start system). All four of my seat heaters (I'll get brand later) were fully wired so all I needed to do was run 16 gauge wire from my fuse box into the cab. I used 16-4 speaker wire, as it had a jacket on it already for extra protection. I cheated a little on the seat heaters themselves, in that I had ordered AEV seat covers, so my seat heaters are literally sitting on top of the seats, under the seat covers. There sticky tape on the back of them wasn't that good, so I took a little flathead nail about an inch long and stuck one nail through the seat heater fabric of each corner through my oem seat covers into the foam material, to hold the covers in place (these are tiny picture hanging nails with the super flat head - it worked perfectly). Then I slide my seat covers over the seat and it worked perfectly and they get super hot.

For the front seats, you slide the cords down between the seat bottom and the seat back and then wire them under the seats. I loosened up the console and ran the wires up under the console and then had them cut across under the drivers dash where I joined them with my 16-4 speaker wire to run through the firewall to the fuse box. The switches I mounted in The dash next to the vents, which was some careful work.

For the back seats (right now, one of my kid's booster seats is heated, and the other one I'm waiting on, but the power and switch are run), I ran the wiring under the carpet at one of the rear seat mounts and then it day lights directly under the rear seats. It too runs along the console up to the front. As you'll see in these pics, I mounted the switches on the outside rear of the console, where there was room for the switches behind the plastic (this is also a great place to put accessory USB jacks for power, or 12v outlets, or both). I should have taken more pics, and I'm willing to do that, but I was running short on time. I am eventually going to put the AEV seat covers on the back seats too, so will add seat heaters under those covers as well (I'm worried the kids car seats might ruin them if I put them in too early, as the pressure of the bottom of those plastic seats is not spread evenly over the seat).

So, in summary, I'm very anal retentive and I try to make these installs as "perfect" as possible. Thankfully, the JK is like a big snap together model. I plan to make this jeep our third car in the next two years, so plan to own it for the long haul. As a result, these four seat heaters took me 7 hours to install, not including the seat cover install. Doing this type of work correctly takes time. By the way, I own a technology integration company so this kind of work is my business. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, I'm just trying to let you guys know that doing this stuff properly isn't quick work. It's fun as hell for me, but I like to know that when I go to use something on my jeep, that it's going to work every time. That requires proper crimps, flex looming everything you can (to prevent chafing), proper wire and fuse sizes, etc. Buy good tools and keep them forever. Peony take shortcuts with your 12v wiring, as it will fail, as these jeeps bounce and tumble down the road and the wiring will come apart. Sorry for the soapbox, but I've spent almost 30 years now doing this stuff (I'm 41 and put an old school equalizer in my brother' scar when I was 12) and I've learned every lesson the hard way through trial and error. I'd love to help anyone not have to make all of the same mistakes that I've made.

A lot of you guys call me, and I'm always open for that, as it takes less time to talk on the phone than it does for me to type all of this up. My cell is 314-680-2624. Pay the favor forward some day to someone less experienced that you!

There's 4" of fresh snow on the ground in St. Louis right now and my 6 year old is all over me to get the Polaris RZR out and pull him sledding; we are supposed to get 10" today. I'm sure I'll be pulling someone out of a ditch later today in the Jeep! Happy wiring guys.

Quick Reply: Where to Wire heated seats w/ remote start?