Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Where to Wire heated seats w/ remote start?

Old 12-14-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to Wire heated seats w/ remote start?

Hey Jeepers - hoping someone can help me here. I'm looking for the best location to wire 2 seats heaters into my '13 JKU. I've seen most people do the cig lighter but apparently that doesn't work well with a remote starter (as the key must be in the ignition to engage the current), meaning you wouldn't be able to preheat. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

No one?? Was hoping to do this today
Old 12-14-2013, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Now I may be wrong, but I believe the only way to get the heaters to come on with the remote starter, without having the key on, would be to come off of an aux from the remote starter module itself.
I can't think of anything that is powered on when the remote starter activates, except maybe the heater fan. I would certainly like to know if anyone knows of an alternate source though. A person could use an aux output from
an Areoforce gauge I believe, because I have noticed this is on when I enter the vehicle after starting it with the remote. So the OBDII port must be activated. But from what I have been reading in my research, it doesn't look like there is a way to have them activated from the cig lighter.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lkinmond
Hey Jeepers - hoping someone can help me here. I'm looking for the best location to wire 2 seats heaters into my '13 JKU. I've seen most people do the cig lighter but apparently that doesn't work well with a remote starter (as the key must be in the ignition to engage the current), meaning you wouldn't be able to preheat. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Use the other one.... I have a 10 which has a different interior but I have two cig lighters and one is ALWAYS on

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 12-14-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes but he wants a power source that comes on with the remote start, not an always hot one, as that would keep his heaters on all the time, killing his battery. At least that is what I thought he meant.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:41 PM
JK Junkie

Seems like a multimeter to the fusebox would tell you what circuit is on with the remote start.

In short- there's no "quick fix" to turn them on with your remote start. Seems this thread pops up every week when this time of year comes around and I haven't seen a solution yet unless you build your own electrical box to interpret the run signal from the remote start and have it send a signal to your seat heaters.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2013, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm...alright, well thanks for the input. I'll install the remote start first and then poke around some more to see what is running. Thanks all...
Old 12-21-2013, 10:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I want to so the same thing. Please keep us posted.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Use the park light power, use that to pull in the coil of a relay ( 0.2 amp draw, mount in engine bay). Then just run 12v (fused) from the battery, through the relay to your seat heaters, from seat heater to your switch, from switch to the ground.

When you get out of Jeep turn switch on, when the car starts the seats will heat, once you get in if you are warm enough turn switch off.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great idea, but we will have to use a diode and double wire the relay trigger lead because if we only use the parking light wire, then the seat heaters will only work when the parking lights are on. But this is so simple, why didn't I think of it? Thank you man for pointing out the obvious! So, second power wire from switched source with a diode inline so the power doesn't back flow when both sources are feeding the relay.

Quick Reply: Where to Wire heated seats w/ remote start?