Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Where did you put your sub in your 2 door?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did you put your sub in your 2 door?

Been looking at sub options for my two door. I didn't really realize how little space there is until I started looking for a place to stick a permanent box. What does your setup look like? Did you go self powered? How happy are with the sub you got? How much bass does it produce? Pics would be great.

Thanks,
Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No pics but I have this Pioneer TS-SWX251 Compact sealed enclosure with one 10" shallow-mount sub at Crutchfield.com running off a $100 Jensen 400.2 amp, and a kenwood excelon 796 headunit. I'm very happy with the setup. I had them put the amp in the back storage box (only takes up about half of it), and the sub sits on top laying flat behind the back seat. The nice thing about this sub is the speaker faces down, so I can still put groceries and other stuff right on top, and dont really lose much space at all.

The rear seat has to be moved to the front position tho for it to fit (if you flip the seat up you'll see there are two metal brackets). The sub is 18" x 12" but only 6" high when laying flat. If you plan on taking the seat in and out, make sure to leave about 4-5' of extra wire running to the sub, so you can just lay the sub on the ground, take the seat out and put the sub back in and go (or just disconnect the quick disconnects).

For teh sounds, i'm really happy with it. Sub is rated for 800W but its prob only getting about 150Wrms, so its not even at its full potential. It still shakes the mirrors pretty good (i'm a hard rock/ metal guy). And for only $180, can't go wrong. Its the only option i saw without losing a considerable ammount of room.

PS. With the factory tinted hardtop windows, you can't even see there is a sub in there (i set the rear carpet mat with Jeep logo on top of sub so its completely hidden. I would be nervous with any sub and a soft top.

If you want a pic, pm me you cell #
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, that looks great! Are you still able to get to the secret compartment underneath the sub? Did you bolt it down or does it just sit in the back?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by shakeman0
Wow, that looks great! Are you still able to get to the secret compartment underneath the sub? Did you bolt it down or does it just sit in the back?
Yeah it just sits on top. Stays put pretty well, doesn't slide cuz of the feet it sits on. I just put the sub on top of rear seat or on ground to get in compartment
Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Even better! This is definitely seeming like the best option. What kind of amp do I need to get the max performance from the Pioneer sub? I was looking at the Crutchfield guides and it looks like since the sub is 4 ohm with a 200 watt rms rating, I need to go with an amp capable of pushing 300 watts at 4 ohms. Is that right? Totally new at all this amp/sub stuff. It's pretty confusing.

Last edited by shakeman0; 04-26-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Haha I had to build my own box because no one makes one that fits, I have two 12" Phoenix gold radial sdr subs and a 3400 watt amp and it would break the windows if I wanted it to, sounds good lol
Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll find some pics for you
Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by shakeman0
Even better! This is definitely seeming like the best option. What kind of amp do I need to get the max performance from the Pioneer sub? I was looking at the Crutchfield guides and it looks like since the sub is 4 ohm with a 200 watt rms rating, I need to go with an amp capable of pushing 300 watts at 4 ohms. Is that right? Totally new at all this amp/sub stuff. It's pretty confusing.
I'm NOT an electronics audio guy lol. Just as lost a you. This amp was originally for the speakers and I added sub
Old 04-26-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kh202
I'm NOT an electronics audio guy lol. Just as lost a you. This amp was originally for the speakers and I added sub

Give crutchfield a call, they'll hook you up with good setup. I'd say you could get a much better amp for around $150-200. Also mines a 2 channel, you'd want a mono.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

I had two separate boxes for my two 12's. They were truck boxes moved over from my Colorado. They just happened to fit. I attached my crossovers and amps to the back of the boxes and used the seat strap to stop it all from rocking. Sounds ghetto but it was actually pretty good to me.

Quick Reply: Where did you put your sub in your 2 door?