Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What's your take on Performance Distributors Firepower Ignition Kit?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your take on Performance Distributors Firepower Ignition Kit?

In general, any pros/cons of this upgrade? Just trying to give my engine, which is about to hit 65K miles, a tad more of some noticeable change, especially in on-ramp acceleration. I know gears is the ultimate answer, but I don't have that kind of cash for install. Until my buddy and I attempt a gear swap on his YJ, that won't be happening to the JK anytime soon. LINK: Performance Distributors 31740-9300 - Performance Distributors Firepower Ignition Kit in for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 3.8L Engine - Quadratec

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Upgrading your ignition wont hurt anything, but gains would be minimal. High horse
Power and force inducted engines, power adders like nitrous really benifit with these types of systems due to the increased cylinder pressures. Higher cylinder pressure and air density make it more difficult for the spark to jump the gap in the plugs requiring a more powerful coil and low resistance plug wires.
Best to start with air improvements like aftermarket exhaust and intake. You'll free up some hp and torque that are snuffed out with stock systems.

Last edited by Bull; 09-02-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

If you have a lot of miles on you rig you might benefit from installing a new system and see a result just because it's new and not worn out. But any time you can have a stronger spark you can open the gap on the spark plugs and create a more complete burn and gain power and mpgs
Old 09-03-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
In general, any pros/cons of this upgrade? Just trying to give my engine, which is about to hit 65K miles, a tad more of some noticeable change, especially in on-ramp acceleration. I know gears is the ultimate answer, but I don't have that kind of cash for install. Until my buddy and I attempt a gear swap on his YJ, that won't be happening to the JK anytime soon. LINK: Performance Distributors 31740-9300 - Performance Distributors Firepower Ignition Kit in for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 3.8L Engine - Quadratec

Thanks!
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...t-3-8l-244080/

check that threat!

Quick Reply: What's your take on Performance Distributors Firepower Ignition Kit?