Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

whats needed for a non chrylser stereo install?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
I'm going to install an aftermarket stereo unit into my jeep. What do I need to make it function properly? I have installed many stereos but none into a can bus system. Is there any difference?
Do what I did, go to a local best buy and ask them what kit you need for your year and they'll print you out a list. It'll be $75 for the can bus harness adaptor, $25 for the antenna adaptor and $25 for the din or double din dash kit plus tax totaling over $125. Now, search for the exact same harness on Amazon.com and you should see a combo on there for like $65 for all three. That's what I did, saved me over $60.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thinking but the closest Best Buy is over a hour away from me. Thats what I get for living in a small town.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TJnowsoontobeJK
Good thinking but the closest Best Buy is over a hour away from me. Thats what I get for living in a small town.
Using the harness helps to maintain the integrity of your Jeeps electrical system. And, since you can prewire the harnes while sitting comfortably at the dinning room table, it makes the installation "plug-and-play".

Without the harness, you will need to find and install: 12 volt constant power, 12 volt accessory power, speaker wires, parking brake circuit ( if applicable ), reverse circuit ( if applicable ) and who knows what else. You will loose the OE "delay OFF" function of the radio. And there will be a fault code stored on the list for missing radio.

Quick Reply: whats needed for a non chrylser stereo install?