Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

whats needed for a non chrylser stereo install?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default whats needed for a non chrylser stereo install?

I'm going to install an aftermarket stereo unit into my jeep. What do I need to make it function properly? I have installed many stereos but none into a can bus system. Is there any difference?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to keep some of the OE "bells and whistles" ( like when the radio shuts OFF about a minute after the ignition stops ), then you need a PAC harness adapter.

If you don't care about any of that stuff, then you need to find all new power supplies for the new unit.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:42 AM
JK Junkie

PAC harness needed then!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you had stock infinity setup you definitely need a PAC harness and another adaptor if you want to keep steering controls.

If you didn't have infinity you don't need a PAC harness at all. Then you just need a wire adaptor for whatever HU you're using. I hard wired mine and still have auto dimming, on/off functionality.

Other than that you'll need an am/fm antenna adaptor and a face adaptor if you're going single din.

If you don't have infinity and just upgrade the HU expect to be disappointed, I recently upgraded to a kenwood and was very disappointed. After today I hope to have a 12" sub installed so my low end will be back, then i'm installing an amp for the rest of the speakers.

Point is that power is a problem so you'll have to put more into it than a HU
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct, the biggest difference is if you have the premium audio or not. You do NOT need the CAN/PAC adapter for the illumination and/or the delay power off, etc.

If you have the premium audio, NAV, GPS, etc, I'd recommend a CAN adapter. There are a couple available, ranging from $50 to $150. Some come with Steering Wheel adapter built in and others don't. Some allow you to use the factory amps, some don't. You need to know exactly what you have, and what you want to have in the end. Then research the adapters available, and choose the one best suited for your needs.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 AM
JK Junkie

I have the non mygig system....just the one with sirius and uconnect. Im going with a touchscreen from Jeep. Im not sure if im going to go with the nav unit or not.

depends on the price...the non nav touchscreen will just plug and play. no aftermarket stuff for now.....I want to keep my steering wheel functions etc.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Ok so... I have replaced all speakers and ran new wires to crossovers. I am using a 5 channel amp. I purchased a PAC thing but realized I didn't really need it because I'm using the 3 preamp outputs on the Kenwood to run directly to the amp. All I really need is AC, ground and remote. The question is, which of the wires in the connector I disconnected from the factory radio are those 3 things? And can I just splice before the connector to get them? I have found some diagrams but not exactly what im looking for. Thanks for any help.

I don't have any steering wheel stuff or factory amp. I have found a diagram for the connector, I have found the ground and the B+ but it doesnt have just regular ac. It has CAN Interior Bus + and CAN Interior Bus -

Last edited by las vegas; 12-13-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I had my stereo installed, I was told that I HAD to buy some harness. It was like $130! So it can be done without buying that harness?? I did have the Infinity system.

Reason I ask, is because I'm looking to buy another JK and really don't want to spend that much on a wiring harness. They told me that it ties into everything and the Jeep would not function properly without it.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TJnowsoontobeJK
When I had my stereo installed, I was told that I HAD to buy some harness. It was like $130! So it can be done without buying that harness?? I did have the Infinity system.

Reason I ask, is because I'm looking to buy another JK and really don't want to spend that much on a wiring harness. They told me that it ties into everything and the Jeep would not function properly without it.
I don't know what wires on the OE harness to use. Or if you can even use them at all. You could abandon the OE harness completely. And just run all new wires. Or, just get the PAC harness.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just run a new power wire (fused) to the stereo? I've done quite a few installs but none have required a harness that costs that much.

I was told that the harness is tied into everything. I'd hate to screw up the electrical up and cause a bigger problem.

Quick Reply: whats needed for a non chrylser stereo install?