Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What style rear view camera should i get?

Old 05-10-2015, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonboy74
In California as long as the monitor is used for rear-view it is legal. Not sure about the other states.

I'm running a monitor like this:

10 2'' TFT Screen Car Rearview Mirror Monitor with Touch Button Control Remote | eBay

Flipped the rear view mirror upside down and have the monitor snugged up against the sPod switch panel. It doesn't sit any lower than the stock mirror does. It stretches the image (instead of cropping, which would have been far better for rear view) but it works well.
Exactly

Most units have a wire to sense if you are actually in reverse

I wonder what happens to those giant land yachts that have a camera mounted pretty high and pointed down so they can check on their trailer or vehicle in tow

Matthew
Old 05-10-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I couldn't tell from the description on the one I posted, but most of those monitors have 2 video inputs - the first for "always on" use (i.e. a rear view mirror replacement) and the 2nd is triggered when you put the car in reverse, for a backup camera like one of the downward-facing ones on an RV).
Old 05-10-2015, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jonboy74
In California as long as the monitor is used for rear-view it is legal. Not sure about the other states.

I'm running a monitor like this:

10 2'' TFT Screen Car Rearview Mirror Monitor with Touch Button Control Remote | eBay

Flipped the rear view mirror upside down and have the monitor snugged up against the sPod switch panel. It doesn't sit any lower than the stock mirror does. It stretches the image (instead of cropping, which would have been far better for rear view) but it works well.
That looks a pretty decent sized monitor. Would it be possible to provide a picture of the image you see when in rear view mode? I'd like to get a better understanding of how stretched the image is. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Most CCD cameras work good. The one you get mostly depends on where you plan to mount it; I bought the Gino CCD for $14 and recessed it in the bumper, but you may prefer a spare tire or hitch or and other mount.

FYI, if you get the Gino camera + PAC harness + F/F RCA adapter, you can add a backup camera to a 430N/730N for as little as $45. You have to get the reverse camera feature enabled by the dealer, some get it for free, most get it for a 30 minute service charge. There's a big thread on JKF devoted to this.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll try to take one this weekend and post it up.

Quick Reply: What style rear view camera should i get?