Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What Sirius/XM unit do you have? Question about aftermarket sat. radio!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Sirius/XM unit do you have? Question about aftermarket sat. radio!

My Jeep didn't have the wonderful XM option in the radio, and since I commute 2 hours a day, I am looking to add Sirius.
For those with aftermarket units, which do you have? Where did you mount it?
Also by any chance will the controls in my 2011 steering wheel work in conjunction with an aftermaket device?
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Sportster 5 that I have had in 3 vehicles now. My JK came with Sirius but I have the Siruis Boombox in my garage so I wanted to keep my aftermarket unit so I can swap it in and out of the Jeep. I mounted it down in front of my shifter with a homemade bracket. I was able to pull the Sirius Antenna out of the back of the factory headunit and remove the plastic containers on it and reroute so it would plug into my Sportster. Then I had to run a AUX plug from the Sportster to the headunit. I don't care for the cable sticking out but it works great. The only steering wheel controls that function with this setup is the volume control and mode changer so I can switch from AUX, FM, AM, etc. So essentially all you are doing is using the AUX from the headunit which would be no different than plugging in an IPOD or something.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by books450
I have the Sportster 5 that I have had in 3 vehicles now. My JK came with Sirius but I have the Siruis Boombox in my garage so I wanted to keep my aftermarket unit so I can swap it in and out of the Jeep. I mounted it down in front of my shifter with a homemade bracket. I was able to pull the Sirius Antenna out of the back of the factory headunit and remove the plastic containers on it and reroute so it would plug into my Sportster. Then I had to run a AUX plug from the Sportster to the headunit. I don't care for the cable sticking out but it works great. The only steering wheel controls that function with this setup is the volume control and mode changer so I can switch from AUX, FM, AM, etc. So essentially all you are doing is using the AUX from the headunit which would be no different than plugging in an IPOD or something.
Do you have any pictures of your setup?
Where you able to change the channels through the steering wheel or just volume?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TakeABackRoad
Do you have any pictures of your setup?
Where you able to change the channels through the steering wheel or just volume?
I can snap a pic after work. No such luck on changing the Sirius tuner with the steering wheel controls. It will only let you adjust volume and toggle between modes. I have a remote for the Sirius so I can just change channels that way. Not as nice as having the Sirius built right in, but for me it was a decent solution for wanting to keep my boombox in the garage and not having to pay for 2 subscriptions.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My sat stopped working. So I'm going to install an aftermarket Sirius unit.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

SiriusXM - Shop - SiriusXM Edge with Vehicle Kit
Thats the one I was able to get for 29.00. I can forward anyone the email if they want to try to get it. A friend of mine had sent it to me and he was already a subsriber and it worked for me.

How does everyone here mount the antenna for this? And where do you have your reciever placed? thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: What Sirius/XM unit do you have? Question about aftermarket sat. radio!